Help requested for fixing glitch

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

The matrix is just a snapshot, and intermittent interference bursts could upset things.

Signal strength numbers in the low 20s or below could be a potential worry, also a noise floor worse (less negative) than -85, or perhaps a below-par OFDM Weak Signal Level (5 is good) or OFDM ANI Level (0 is good).

The /phyerr log keeps a 20 minute history, the most recent record at the bottom. Figures in the last two columns would be of concern.

BTW if you have a voltmeter handy you can test the existing Bridge PSU. It should put out around 5.1V.

Much obliged. After playing radio for a while and once I have something, I will report. As of now all the matrix indicators you refer to above look good.
I have a spare Bridge I can borrow a PSU from, but before any of that, what do I look for in the Matrix to rule out wireless as a possible culprit?
The matrix is just a snapshot, and intermittent interference bursts could upset things.

Signal strength numbers in the low 20s or below could be a potential worry, also a noise floor worse (less negative) than -85, or perhaps a below-par OFDM Weak Signal Level (5 is good) or OFDM ANI Level (0 is good).

The /phyerr log keeps a 20 minute history, the most recent record at the bottom. Figures in the last two columns would be of concern.

BTW if you have a voltmeter handy you can test the existing Bridge PSU. It should put out around 5.1V.
The Player's being starved of data and its buffer's running dry.

If wireless is firmly ruled out as a possible culprit then I would suspect something at the Bridge/router/HDD.

Change the Ethernet cables then, given the possibility of the Bridge PSU starting to fail, try wiring a different Sonos component in place of the Bridge.

Thanks.

I have a spare Bridge I can borrow a PSU from, but before any of that, what do I look for in the Matrix to rule out wireless as a possible culprit?
The Player's being starved of data and its buffer's running dry.

If wireless is firmly ruled out as a possible culprit then I would suspect something at the Bridge/router/HDD.

Change the Ethernet cables then, given the possibility of the Bridge PSU starting to fail, try wiring a different Sonos component in place of the Bridge.
A USB stick ought to work just as well as a hard drive, in terms of music streaming.

The reason we tend to frown on a 'NAS' made from a router plus USB storage is that routers are primarily designed to be routers. The network storage element is secondary, and can exhibit behavioural quirks.
A related question - I have used an old WD Passport USB drive for some time now for NAS duties, the TC has a USB socket, and I like the form factor and to not have another wire to a mains socket.
If I do want to change the NAS in future, would a USB stick work as well as the recommended ethernet wired and independently powered HDD, given the nature of the memory in a USB stick? I am hoping to soldier on with the current set up until a 128/256GB USB stick gets down in price to reasonable levels. The form factor would be even better than my current set up. And the nature of the memory should mean it will work better than a USB HDD?
All perfectly normal. I believe high E_WOULDBLOCK counts might indicate the Player was having to wait an excessive time for data.

It would. The Player was saying that it had lost contact with a controller, presumably because it went to sleep.

The latter makes sense, the music is playing with all controllers shut down.
I will paste a reading the next time the music stops.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
what does /status/opt/log/anacapa.trace say on the coordinator player when the music stops? It usually gives a hint on what the player struggles with.
I should also add:
While some of my playlists have 500 tracks, the total tracks are only about 7000.
Nothing I could see as abnormal in the Matrix, or in the error distribution table in the phys_err of either the playing unit or the Bridge at the times music did not play.