Help Connecting Beam to TV w/ no ARC or Optical

• 5 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone, I have an older TV (manufactured in 2014 - not really old to me, but by tech standards, I suppose it is) and I'm trying to connect my Sonos Beam to it using an HDMI switch. Currently I have an HDMI cord running from the TV to the switch and the Beam connected to the switch via an optical cord (using the HDMI to optical adapter Sonos provides), but the Sonos app isn't recognizing anything via TV Setup through their app. Does anyone have advice for steps to take to try to make this all work together? I'm at a loss now. I appreciate any help or tips anyone might have. I thought I could handle this level of tech, but apparently I cannot.

TV: LG 65LB5200 - photo below showing the back of the TV

Here’s the HDMI switch I purchased.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It should work with a Coaxial-to-Optical Digital Audio Converter 🤞… see this (example) link:

https://www.amazon.com/LiNKFOR-Toslink-Bi-Directional-Converter-Splitter/dp/B07QTP7FX5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Thank you for this suggestion, Ken! Would I use this audio converter instead of the HDMI switch or use everything together?

You don’t actually need the HDMI switch to make the LG TV work with the Beam. This is what you need to do;

1. Connect the LG’s TV Digital coax-output port to the converter input.
  2. Use the Sonos optical-HDMI adapter that comes with the Beam ..and connect that to converter output ...and then use the supplied Sonos HDMI cable direct to the Beam.

Don’t forget to switch the audio-out to the coax port (if necessary) in the TV sound settings. 

Okay, great. Thank you very much! I’ve ordered everything and will give this a shot. I appreciate your help, Ken!