Answered

Having trouble playing music

• 19 June 2019
  • 4 replies

I used to be able to use all of my music services. No sweat. I did it yesterday. Now I can not get to the "shuffle" this or play that without adding individual songs to My Sonos. Which I don't even recognize as a thing.

Can we roll back the software a couple of days and get that back? Sonos is a HW provider. Get over yourselves and stop imbuing yourselves in between me an my music providers. I don't want you there and I can no longer easily play music on your HW which is all you are good for.

Figure it out!

S
icon

Best answer by neptune650 19 June 2019, 22:31

I've solved this. Kind of accidentally. While I have been using Sonos for years and have always marveled at it's simplicity, I think this is a case where making it simple failed.

One (or perhaps more) of my Plays (I have a blend of 3s and 1s) got in a messed up state. I had not been upgrading or anything, so not 100% sure why. I powered one of them down and low and behold the system came back to life.

The issue is that the interface knew something was wrong but did not really flag it as an "alarm" or bad condition. The iPhone app appeared to find the Plays with the WiFi. But the state that they were in (whether collectively or just one of them) was not highlighted as "suboptimal" which, it of course does when it can't find them at all.

The music interface only allowed the building of song lists. Not playing of anything. I finally realized none of the speakers were listed and tried bouncing my 3 (currently only one of those in this home) and everything fixed itself. The music interface then presents as normal.

Perhaps if Sonos was not so reliable, it would not be as frustrating, but it occurs to me weird stuff has happened before and it fixed itself.

I am a little put off that the SW changes appearance and presentation based on state. Wouldn't it be better to flag the "bad state" to the dummy (me) running the thing? Just my $.02.

Next time I will know, but I have never seen anything this perplexing with Sonos before.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi @neptune650, I appreciate that what you're seeing there is frustrating, but please watch the language here on the community. I've gone through and removed some of the more colorful language from your post above.

We'd love to help sort your trouble out, but we'll need some more details. What music service are you working with that's giving you trouble? What controller are you using and what error messages are you seeing?

There hasn't been a software update in the last couple days, but you might have gotten an update that came out a while ago and just hadn't been installed on your end yet. If that's the case, sometimes issues following an update are resolved with a reboot of your network, followed by your Sonos players. Just unplugging the devices for 10 seconds or so each will do the trick. This would renew any network links and potentially fix wireless issues which might have cropped up.

If you're still having trouble, you can go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Submit a Diagnostic and post it here so we can check it out.
Hi Ryan, Thanks so much for your response.

I am having the same problem with all my music services. It used to work the same as those applications. When you get to a certain point, with Spotify say, it will only allow you to click on "Add this song to Sonos" as opposed to "shuffle this songlist". REALLY? I guess if I wanted to add all those songs to lists and then try to play them that would be fine. It will only take about 100 hours to do that. The Sonos app used to be a passthrough for the streaming apps, we can all imagine why Sonos might want to be in that value chain, but it worked better when they butted the f* out.

I have been using Sonos for a few years now. Why is perfectly good software replaced with unworkable SW?

I doubt the community can help anyway, but really appreciate any pointers you might have.

Amazon, same thing.

Pandora, same thing.

Saturday, it was working fine. My Sonos was not "in the way" as it appears to be now. Disallowing access to shuffle or play buttons (in Spotify and whatever the corallaries are).

pffffftttt!
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Thanks for the details. To be clear, are you using the Spotify/Amazon/Pandora apps or going through the Sonos app and using the service within Sonos? If you're using the services' apps, can you go into the Sonos app and see if you have any trouble playing each of those services within the Sonos app?

The reason for this is to make sure that the Sonos app has the correct credentials for each service. They might have timed out and you may need to update. Speaking of update, make sure in the Sonos app that you've updated all of your players. This is under More > Settings > Advanced settings.
I've solved this. Kind of accidentally. While I have been using Sonos for years and have always marveled at it's simplicity, I think this is a case where making it simple failed.

One (or perhaps more) of my Plays (I have a blend of 3s and 1s) got in a messed up state. I had not been upgrading or anything, so not 100% sure why. I powered one of them down and low and behold the system came back to life.

The issue is that the interface knew something was wrong but did not really flag it as an "alarm" or bad condition. The iPhone app appeared to find the Plays with the WiFi. But the state that they were in (whether collectively or just one of them) was not highlighted as "suboptimal" which, it of course does when it can't find them at all.

The music interface only allowed the building of song lists. Not playing of anything. I finally realized none of the speakers were listed and tried bouncing my 3 (currently only one of those in this home) and everything fixed itself. The music interface then presents as normal.

Perhaps if Sonos was not so reliable, it would not be as frustrating, but it occurs to me weird stuff has happened before and it fixed itself.

I am a little put off that the SW changes appearance and presentation based on state. Wouldn't it be better to flag the "bad state" to the dummy (me) running the thing? Just my $.02.

Next time I will know, but I have never seen anything this perplexing with Sonos before.