Answered

Having interference and compatability problems - best set up advice

• 21 February 2019
  • 4 replies

System: LG OLED55B6V, Playbase with 2 x play 3s combined as surround sound, plus a Boost connected by wire to Virgin router. Otherwise equipment spaced apart nicely with a cordless phone (1900Ghz) maybe two feet from a play 3 speaker, Playbase is five feet from router, Boost and other Play3 the other side of the room. Minor problems in the past but generally very nice sound quality for over a year. Last couple of months have been getting interference. Read various advice from Sonos and forums. Music problems mostly solved now by setting Boost to channel 1, Virgin router to 6. Previously anyone accessing wifi with a smart phone caused interference. This evening I have just changed the password on system to lock out all the mobile phones in the house connected to the system. Music played from iPad mini or MacBook much improved with all the tweaking. BUT still getting problems watching Netflix's shows in the Dolby digitally format. Maybe other shows too but noticing it on shows in Dolby Digital format. For first half hour or so of watching Academy Umbrella, or Star Trek discovery both in Dolby Digital the sound is fine but then it degrades, especially from the Play 3s. Background music and sounds like static noise, sound dropping, skipping between speakers etcetera, just enough to be really irritating I cleared the problem once by resetting password which required resetting the TV etcetera but within half hour the play 3s are glitching again. Now read Playbase does not support Dolby Digital. Any advice on best set up? Thanks (system diagnostic 122292142.).
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 22 February 2019, 17:32

Thank you for the replies. Here is a fresh diagnostic number 413059108. It is nine digits. The previous diagnostic was also length nine. Is this the wrong length? I am using the Sonos controller on an iPad mini (More>Settings>Submit Diagnostics). [As an aside I also note loss of functionality for the Sonos controller on my Mackbook pro. There is no obvious way to perform a diagnostic on the MacBook. Some other functionality also seem to be missing.]

My Playbase is connected by cable to the Boost.

Last night (I'm in UK Btw) I changed the sound out setting on TV from Auto to Dolby Digital whilst watching Netflix. This seems to clear the Netlfix's problem when watching a Dolby Digital show. Maybe the problem has cleared now - need to put in a few hours viewing in to be sure.

Spent an hour last night listening to music. That seems to be fine now.

Thanks for sending in the report. This one loaded. It looks like there's an issue with the wireless card on your Playbase. As such, the Playbase is not able to communicate properly with your rear speakers, which is why you can't get the surround audio working.

Please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here and help with your Playbase. You can find our phone number and hours here.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I think your best bet is to have Sonos look at your diagnostic, but I wanted to clear up one item.

The PLAYBASE, PLAYBAR and Beam all support the same codecs: Dolby Digital and Stereo.

It sounds to me like you've done a lot of the things that make sense, although locking out phones doesn't really resolve any interference that they may generate if they're connected to another signal.

I'll hope that someone from Sonos pops along soon, but it's getting late on the west coast of the US, which is where many of the forum moderators are. You might be better served by trying Twitter, which is 24/7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
System: LG OLED55B6V, Playbase with 2 x play 3s combined as surround sound, plus a Boost connected by wire to Virgin router. Otherwise equipment spaced apart nicely with a cordless phone (1900Ghz) maybe two feet from a play 3 speaker, Playbase is five feet from router, Boost and other Play3 the other side of the room. Minor problems in the past but generally very nice sound quality for over a year. Last couple of months have been getting interference. Read various advice from Sonos and forums. Music problems mostly solved now by setting Boost to channel 1, Virgin router to 6. Previously anyone accessing wifi with a smart phone caused interference. This evening I have just changed the password on system to lock out all the mobile phones in the house connected to the system. Music played from iPad mini or MacBook much improved with all the tweaking. BUT still getting problems watching Netflix's shows in the Dolby digitally format. Maybe other shows too but noticing it on shows in Dolby Digital format. For first half hour or so of watching Academy Umbrella, or Star Trek discovery both in Dolby Digital the sound is fine but then it degrades, especially from the Play 3s. Background music and sounds like static noise, sound dropping, skipping between speakers etcetera, just enough to be really irritating I cleared the problem once by resetting password which required resetting the TV etcetera but within half hour the play 3s are glitching again. Now read Playbase does not support Dolby Digital. Any advice on best set up? Thanks (system diagnostic 122292142.).

Hi there,

Your diagnostic number seems to be missing a digit, can you try sending in a new one? Reply here with the number and I'll take a look.

One thing you can try is to bypass the TV by connecting the Playbase directly to your cable box. When doing this, do you get audio interruptions? If not, the issue is likely with your TV's audio output. Make sure your TV is up to date on its firmware as well.
Thank you for the replies. Here is a fresh diagnostic number 413059108. It is nine digits. The previous diagnostic was also length nine. Is this the wrong length? I am using the Sonos controller on an iPad mini (More>Settings>Submit Diagnostics). [As an aside I also note loss of functionality for the Sonos controller on my Mackbook pro. There is no obvious way to perform a diagnostic on the MacBook. Some other functionality also seem to be missing.]

Last night (I'm in UK Btw) I changed the sound out setting on TV from Auto to Dolby Digital whilst watching Netflix. This seems to clear the Netlfix's problem when watching a Dolby Digital show. Maybe the problem has cleared now - need to put in a few hours viewing in to be sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for sending in the report. This one loaded. It looks like there's an issue with the wireless card on your Playbase. As such, the Playbase is not able to communicate properly with your rear speakers, which is why you can't get the surround audio working.

Please reach out to our phone team who can take over from here and help with your Playbase. You can find our phone number and hours here.