Answered

Has my Connect met its demise?

Having run solidly for years, my Connect has started showing a flashing white light out of nowhere. So far as I am aware there has been no update applied to it - in fact the unit hasn’t been touched in months. The unit is connected via a wired connection, although when troubleshooting I have also tried connecting it via wireless. The Connect disappears from the controller altogether, or drops when playing back after a few minutes, at which point the light starts flashing white again (or sometimes more of a fast flicker)

What’s the setup?

In the (physical) room in question I have a Connect which is connected to my turntable, and two Play:1s in a stereo pair. The Connect is hardwired to the network, and the Play:1s using wireless. My turntable is connected to the line in on the Connect.

What have I tried?

• Replaced the ethernet cable in use on the Connect
  • Swapped the ethernet port on the Connect
  • Switched the connect to use WiFi
  • Factory reset the Connect
  • Switched one of the Play:1s to be wired, and the Connect to be wireless

In every case, the Connect will continually disappear and re-appear from the controller app. The light on the front will be a consistent mix of solid white, slowly flashing white, an odd flickering white (not flashing as it never goes completely out)  

I’ve also noticed that with the Connect wired and the Play:1s playing a streaming source (tried Apple Music, Spotify and my local Music Library) the Play:1 will drop out audio and show in the controller that the WiFi connection is having a problem (even when the Connect is not involved in the speaker group etc). Everything is using SonosNet, so I presume the issue here is that the Play:1s are connecting wirelessly through the Connect’s wired connection, and this is causing the dropout. This is further backed up by the fact that if I wire one of the Play:1s using the cable normally connected to the Connect, the connection is stable and playback has no problems whatsoever.

My suspicion is that at the very least the network card in the Connect has packed in, and this is affecting stability of not just the Connect, but any device connecting through it via SonosNet. My wireless network is rock solid, and there is an access point in the same room less than 2m from the Connect and one of the Play:1s so I’m certain its not a wireless issue. Especially since the same problem manifests when using a wired connection.

I’ve submitted two sets of diagnostics to Sonos, the first while the Connect had dropped out from the controller (211468577) and the second while the Connect was available and playing back (464005429)

Is it the end of the road for my Connect? :( 

icon

Best answer by Xander P 10 May 2021, 12:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @fruvos, welcome to the Sonos Community.

The symptoms you’ve described are typical of a Connect either entering a reboot cycle (where it will just reboot for no reason), or the software freezing up (causing a flickering white light). Performing a Factory Reset on the unit may help, however I would also advise reaching out to our Support Team via live chat or phone call, as it may be worth looking in to replacement options.

Let us know how you get on :)

Thanks @Xander P - reaching out to support now that it’s within their operating hours :thumbsup_tone1: