Answered

Hard wired amp dropping connection?

• 6 February 2019
  • 3 replies

My hard wired amp drops connection randomly, when all the other wireless speakers are ok. Anyone else having this issue, this problem is new to me as the set up has been bomb proof for months, is my bridge on its way out?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 February 2019, 20:15

I'd say it's certainly possible that the BRIDGE's power supply might be suspect, but since you say that the amp is hard wired (and which amp? Sonos Amp, or CONNECT:AMP?), it seems unlikely to be the cause of any dropouts, since your amp should be using the ethernet connection rather than either your wifi or the SonosNet connection. You have removed any wifi credentials from the controller app, correct?

In my mind, it's much more likely to be a duplicate IP address issue, which is caused by your router's losing knowledge of where it is in the DHCP table, and exposed most frequently by the soft reboot that the Sonos hardware does during a software update.

What I'd recommend is a simple wifi refresh. Unplug from power all of your Sonos devices (including that BRIDGE), the reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug in the Sonos devices, one at a time, allowing a couple of minutes between each one.

If that does indeed resolve the issue, I'd recommend that you look in to assigning reserved IP addresses for all you connected devices in your router's DHCP table, it's usually fairly easy to do, once you know how. I had to reference the manual for my router online to look it up, but was a good thing to learn how to do, and has helped my LAN significantly.

But if that doesn't work, then I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
It will be something silly, I'm sure.

My two silly issues:
The microwave getting older and I guess producing more intereference. Drop outs always occurred in the morning whilst nuking my daughters ready brek in the microwave.
A change of router followed by adding a second wired sonos component. It turns out that my router is not a fan of Sonos STP so as soon as you connect more than one bit of kit via ethernet it all goes Pete Tong.

The advice above is awesome and solves most issues - the diagnostic will help find other things after that.
I'd say it's certainly possible that the BRIDGE's power supply might be suspect, but since you say that the amp is hard wired (and which amp? Sonos Amp, or CONNECT:AMP?), it seems unlikely to be the cause of any dropouts, since your amp should be using the ethernet connection rather than either your wifi or the SonosNet connection. You have removed any wifi credentials from the controller app, correct?

In my mind, it's much more likely to be a duplicate IP address issue, which is caused by your router's losing knowledge of where it is in the DHCP table, and exposed most frequently by the soft reboot that the Sonos hardware does during a software update.

What I'd recommend is a simple wifi refresh. Unplug from power all of your Sonos devices (including that BRIDGE), the reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug in the Sonos devices, one at a time, allowing a couple of minutes between each one.

If that does indeed resolve the issue, I'd recommend that you look in to assigning reserved IP addresses for all you connected devices in your router's DHCP table, it's usually fairly easy to do, once you know how. I had to reference the manual for my router online to look it up, but was a good thing to learn how to do, and has helped my LAN significantly.

But if that doesn't work, then I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
I would perhaps turn off the WiFi on the Amp 'Room Settings', change it’s cable and choose another connection port, if available That would be my first thoughts to try.