Answered

Half my speakers showing S1 incompatible overnight

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I woke up to find that half of my speakers are showing “incompatible” under my S1 app.

Controller says there’s an update, but it won’t let me update. I get an “Error 9”.

For kicks, I tried to reset my Sonos Move and repair it with the S1 controller. No such luck. The controller won’t let me do anything until it updates (some options grayed out).

Stuck here and need some assistance. I REALLY hope I’m not going to have to go through and reset all these speakers. 

Any advice or guidance here outside of replacing half my system with S2 compatible speakers? Not ready to do that just yet. Just want everything working as it should. I believe “update automatically”, which I don’t ever recall enabling, may be the culprit. 

TIA and please advise. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 1 October 2022, 23:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

@brucemac 

STOP!! Don’t factory reset anything without further consult.

Describe your system for us. Were any of the units part of an S2 system? Was an S2 controller installed by accident?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have the following:

(2) Sonos One’s Stereo Pair

Sonos Beam, Sonos Sub and (2) One’s in 5.1

Sonos Move

(2) Sonos Play 5

Sonos Amp

(2) Sonos Connect 

Sonos One

Sonos Roam (Bluetooth only)

I have never intentionally updated anything to S2, nor have I installed S2 and created an S2 system. 

S1 will not let me update. Error 9. I was in the beta program last year, but contacted support due to a similar update issues. Back then though, I could still see and play all my speakers, just couldn’t update. This is different. I am not in Beta. 

ROAM is an issue because they are not compatible with S1. I suggest that you Power Down ROAM, then check to see if the system is operational.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Nope, that’s not it. As I said, we’re not using a controller for the roam. Bluetooth only. Powering down has no impact. 

I have wrench icon next to each of my S2 compatible devices within the S1 app. It’s like they were updated to S2 automatically without me knowing or forcing update. Either that, or it has something to do with the S1 app not allowing me to update due to error 9. 

Any other ideas? This sucks. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

The other thing that is kind of dumb is that due to the fact my S1 controller is requesting an update, but I can’t due to the error, I can’t even remove speakers from within the controller because the option is grayed out. 

I suspect that one or more units updated to S2, likely that MOVE. From here it will get messy. One approach would be to power down everything except the S1 only units. Make sure that the S2 controller is not installed. Now the system should be operational. If not, uninstall the S1 controller and reinstall. Nothing critical is stored in the controllers. Once you have an operational S1 system you can power-up the other units one by one until you discover the S2 unit(s). Now, you’ll need to power down the S1 units and downgrade the S2 units (except ROAM). The newly downgraded units can be added to your S1 system. Take care to ‘add’ the newly downgraded units. In my opinion it is too easy to click the wrong entry and setup a new system.

I’ve never attempted to install a ROAM to operate only on Bluetooth and S1. It seems to me that it would be very easy to accidentally introduce S2 during the ROAM installation process. If ROAM has access to your WiFi I suspect that it will attempt to connect to your SONOS system from time to time and this will lead to trouble.

And as an aside, I’ve never seen a case prove out where Sonos upgraded a speaker from S1 to S2 automatically. In all cases I’ve seen, it ended up being a person who caused the issue. I don’t think there is a way in Sonos to upgrade a speaker from S1 to S2 in their system, it always requires a person to press a button. 

I have seen a few cases where someone who isn’t the system owner thought they were helping the owner….and I’ve been close to doing that myself on a friend’s system. 

I think that there should be some sort of lockout that can be enabled. This would prevent any walk by “expert” from attempting to update the system.

It sure would be nice to hide that behind the extra login, that you have to traverse to add a service.

Exactly the same thing happened to me - half of my system just upgraded itself to S2 overnight! Factory resetting the affected speakers and using the S2 app to downgrade them to S1, and then re-adding to the S1 system in the S1 app, was nowhere near as painful as I thought it would be. Took about 10 minutes per speaker.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thanks all. Yeah, so I had to reset 5 devices, install S2 and then follow instructions to downgrade via S2 controller. Not rocket science, but a hassle. No clue how this happened, but I’m back in business and appreciate everybody’s guidance. 

I have never intentionally updated anything to S2, nor have I installed S2 and created an S2 system. 

I am glad you have sorted this out but I am puzzled.  The Roam has to be set up on WiFI as part of a Sonos system before it can be used with Bluetooth… and the Roam is compatible only with S2… oh well, one of life’s mysteries.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It sure would be nice to hide that behind the extra login, that you have to traverse to add a service.

This has been done for S2 updates - the last two S2 updates both required my Sonos creds before proceeding. (On PC).

Curious if this same gate has not been added to the S1->S1 update path? Or does the Mobile app not do the password check?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am glad you have sorted this out but I am puzzled.  The Roam has to be set up on WiFI as part of a Sonos system before it can be used with Bluetooth… and the Roam is compatible only with S2… oh well, one of life’s mysteries.

The Roam was a gift for my teenage daughter when they first came out. I’ll have to double check, but I’m fairly confident that I created a separate Sonos account for her during setup. It doesn’t share any login credentials. 

if I didn’t have to replace two connects with Ports, I’d upgrade my (2) Play 5’s and be done with it, but for me personally, it’s cost prohibitive and only an incremental upgrade. Juice just doesn’t seem worth the squeeze. Hoping something new comes out in the next year or two that makes it a more compelling proposition. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I've never had a password check for updates on S1.

I'd keep all S1 speakers as these have all your playlists etc then one by one Factory Reset the S2 capable speakers and go through the rigmarole of downgrading (you will need S2 installed to do this ironically).

Same happened to me and its definitely something Sonos did but not telling us.

Spent 4 hours on this. I may have to go back to wires!

All the Sons advice and guidance doesn't work. I've spent hours trying to reset devices, add separate Sonos networks. None of it works and leads me to think it's all just a giant con to get people to ditch S1 products and get to S2. Won't be buying Sonos again, very poor investment of time and money.

All the Sons advice and guidance doesn't work. I've spent hours trying to reset devices, add separate Sonos networks. None of it works and leads me to think it's all just a giant con to get people to ditch S1 products and get to S2. Won't be buying Sonos again, very poor investment of time and money.

This is more-likely a user error by someone with access to the network and your Sonos system. I have S1 and S2 systems that ‘happily’ run side-by-side on the home LAN. 

The S1 system, which does have some S2 capable devices within its Household, has never updated to S2 accidentally, or otherwise. So this isn’t anything that Sonos is doing.

I have, from time to time, purposely switched Sonos Ones between the S1 and S2 systems by adding them to the S2 HH and later using the downgrade tool to revert them back to S1. 

These are the instructions I presently use to switch my Sonos Ones from S2 to S1 Households:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/downgrade-a-sonos-product-from-s2-to-s1

It works for my Home setup here every time, so maybe see if the support document will assist you to sort things.

One further note: A Sonos One-SL that has been upgraded to S2 cannot be downgraded to S1 - I do have two of those type of speakers, but in my own case I chose to put both onto S2 and leave them there.