Question

Grouping of Speakers to Overcome Drop Outs

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Will do.

As for the Matrix, the left hand column, which lists the speakers and their signal strengths, still has the usual culprits as RED but the body of the Matrix, which I think tells me how they are communicating with each other, is all GREENs and YELLOWS.

I have attached a picture of it- hope it uploads ok.
Try the boost on the homeplug instead of the bedroom speaker.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Being a bit dim- what do you mean by the homeplug?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
As for the Matrix, the left hand column, which lists the speakers and their signal strengths, still has the usual culprits as RED but the body of the Matrix, which I think tells me how they are communicating with each other, is all GREENs and YELLOWS.
That is correct, and (assuming this matrix snapshot is representative) having greens and yellows only suggests that this configuration should work fine. (You can't do much about the reds in the LH column, which are a function of the environment in which the devices are located.)

Worth trying out the suggestion above of connecting the Boost to the upstairs Powerline adaptor, instead of a speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Being a bit dim- what do you mean by the homeplug?
Homeplug is just another name for a powerline adaptor.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I'm definitely learning lots!!!!

Tried the Boost- it makes things worse! It makes the Office Right go orange, and nothing actually gets routed through it- the entire Boost column stays blank.

Will try other configurations to see if anything works better.
You should also try and get rid of the red in your matrix, as you know this signifies noise / interference that is local to the Sonos unit. Try again channels 1, 6 and 11 but also switch your home wifi to another channel. Make sure there are no devices close which produce RF such as baby monitors, wireless cameras, security PIR’s, home telephones or Bluetooth devices, keyboards, mice etc.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thanks, Belly M. I'm still persevering.

I've been trying to get rid of the red in the matrix since I first learnt how to show it!!!! (one thing that I think could be more generally publicised by Sonos for part of the self help process).

I've used every possible channel on Sonos and the Router.

Current computer keyboard and mouse is not wirless. I've moved the wirless telphones as far away as I physically can. I know the microwave can interfere but it's not normally being used (and is switched off) when Sonos is running.

I've relocated the speakers in the bedroom and in the office- they've physically gone from one side of the room to the other. They've been at eye level, they've been at knee level.

I'm fairly limited on the places that the BOOST can go- I want so much to beleive it's going to do something, but it only seems to complicate the matter. Support have told me that it wasn't contributing anything!
There “must” be something that's causing the interference, you could even try using the the channels inbetween in the hope they have less interference, keeping your home wifi a good dustance away.
Badge +1
Sonos needs to admit that there is a strong possibility they actually introduced this problem with an app update. I had no problems at all until an app update and there have been many reports of the same from others. Look at the massive thead about cutting out. The only solution I've heard is change channels, reset all your stuff, etc. I've done it all, that's not what the fix is. They need to roll back the app to the one that worked. The new one is not as good as the old one, I don't think anyone would even debate that.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sorry, bozer, but I've had this problem since well before the update to the app. This is about basic connectivity. I've had Sonos for 2 and a half years now and I simply can't get constant connectivity to the upstairs part of my flat.

I've read the thread about the app. Yes, it certainly takes a lot of getting use to, but that is not the problem that I am having.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos needs to admit that there is a strong possibility they actually introduced this problem with an app update.
I strongly doubt that. This forum represents a minuscule proportion of the Sonos user base, and it's natural that problems are prominent because that's what the forum is for.

The new one is not as good as the old one, I don't think anyone would even debate that.
Well, I would.
Badge +1
To be clear, I have Sonos Play 1's all over the house and have no issue. My issue is with the 5.1 setup, where my rears and sub drop out. This was not a problem at all until an app update.

Sorry, bozer, but I've had this problem since well before the update to the app. This is about basic connectivity. I've had Sonos for 2 and a half years now and I simply can't get constant connectivity to the upstairs part of my flat.

I've read the thread about the app. Yes, it certainly takes a lot of getting use to, but that is not the problem that I am having.

Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ok, thought it worth a bit of an update:

Only TP Link Day 1, but no drop outs today. Matrix hasn't fluctuated at all, although still got lots of RED around upstairs speakers.

Going to give it a week before fixing the Ethernet cable to the Router plug in place.

Thanks for your help, guys.
Glad you have got somewhere... but do keep trying the Boost, just in odd areas and not attached by Ethernet to see if it helps.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Yeah, I will do- even if just to make me think I didn't waste the money buying it a couple of years back, LOL.

Going to give it a go in the Office in a bit.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
A final word on this and many thanks to Belly M and pwt for all your kind suggestions.

Two days without any dropouts and that is from radio and upstairs record player and downstairs CD and record player. Haven't streamed anything yet but not expecting anything untoward.

Case closed. ?