Question

grouped room music dropping out

• 1 October 2019
  • 4 replies

I have 14 or so speakers set up over 9 rooms and when I try and group the whole house together some rooms cut out and come back in. It's like it can't maintain connection. I have a boost connected in the system thinking that might of been the solution do I need another boost or is there something I'm not setting up correctly

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have 14 or so speakers set up over 9 rooms and when I try and group the whole house together some rooms cut out and come back in. It's like it can't maintain connection. I have a boost connected in the system thinking that might of been the solution do I need another boost or is there something I'm not setting up correctly
The Boost is an old product now and with new wi-fi routers being a lot more powerful, I suggest that you unplug the Boost and plug one of your other Sonos players in with an Ethernet cable and try that. If this doesn't work then unplug the Ethernet cable and set-up your wi-fi credentials in the Sonos App and see how that works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'd think the Boost is fine, the older Bridge is the one with issues.

Since you are in Boost mode now do all of your devices show as being in WM:0 mode on the controller's about screen? If they don't you need to force them to that mode (reboot or wire and reboot if they are stubborn) and then remove the WiFi connection information so they have to stay in WM:0 mode.

Can you wire additional Sonos devices? In most cases the more wired the more robust the mesh becomes.

What does your network matrix look like? Replace my IP with one of yours (not the Boost though) http://172.16.1.115:1400/support/review
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'd think the Boost is fine, the older Bridge is the one with issues.

Since you are in Boost mode now do all of your devices show as being in WM:0 mode on the controller's about screen? If they don't you need to force them to that mode (reboot or wire and reboot if they are stubborn) and then remove the WiFi connection information so they have to stay in WM:0 mode.

Can you wire additional Sonos devices? In most cases the more wired the more robust the mesh becomes.

What does your network matrix look like? Replace my IP with one of yours (not the Boost though) http://172.16.1.115:1400/support/review

Sorry, my mistake. Not only did I mis-read the Boost for the Bridge but I re-typed it!🤓
Just to make sure.... when you say that the Boost is connected to the system, you do mean that it is wired to your router? I would not recommend running this many units purely in wifi mode.

Are there any extenders, switches, WAPs in your network?

Definitely worth checking the WM:0 thing mentioned by Stanley. Also worth checking the network matrix. Alternatively submit a system diagnostic when the problem occurs and post the number back here