Question

Greyed out songs on spotify playlists.

I mainly use my Sonos systems to stream from Spotify but recently I've noticed more and more songs in the Sonos app showed as greyed out and I'm am unable to play them.

Now before anyone mentions regions etc I should point out that in the Spotify app even running on the same device (i.e. phone, desktop or tablet) these songs aren't greyed out and can be played - even on a Sonos speaker.
They're simply greyed out in any of the Sonos apps.

My main play list has about 1200 songs on it and it used to be just a couple were greyed out which I put down to glitches, but this number is now in the hundreds making the app & playlist useless.

Anyone any ideas?

10 replies

Badge
Did you ever get a solution to this? I have the same problem: searching around on this forum and other services this seems to be a relatively common issue but I've yet to see a solution.
Nope. Although I haven't checked recently (and I'm at work at the moment so can't check).

The research I did seemed to suggest other folk were simply having region issues. As I said though the Spotify app works fine the problem is to do with however the Sonos app gets the songs from Spotify.

My best guess is that it is a region issue but either at the Spotify or Sonos end as in either Sonos isn't passing the correct region information or Spotify is making region assumptions that are incorrect.

I also suspect that both sides blame the other and / or the user so I doubt there's much progress being made to solve it until someone spots a bit of code and thinks; "that doesn't look right"...
Badge
I have exactly the same issue (i.e. songs will play on spotify but not on the spotify connection through my Sonos controller).
My frustration is compounded because intermittently my spotify app can play the songs but has the Sonos speakers 'greyed out' on devices so can't play them and the Sonos app can connect to the speakers but has the songs greyed out .... on the same device! arghhh
I don't have that problem (or at least I didn't - better check!)
I can play the 'forbidden songs' on my Sonos system via the Spotify app.

What I haven't tried is seeing what the Sonos app thinks is happening when it's playing a song that is greyed out...
So an update on this (I remembered to check this weekend).

The problem seems to have gone away.

I could only find a couple of greyed out songs in my playlist but the songs weren't shown in the Spotify app either so I guess there was a genuine reason for them being greyed out.

I need to check the fix is genuine (i.e. the songs haven't simply been removed completely but still exist on Spotify) but hopefully this is good news.
Badge
Thanks for the update, glad to hear that it seems to be working. Unfortunately I've still got the problem so I'll continue searching.
Did you find an answer? I am having similar issue with an album I bought through itunes. I couldn't find the album on spotify (hence buying it), so created a playlist from my local versions of the song. Most of the songs on this playlist are greyed out on when played via sonos, but if I try to play the album as a local file directly through sonos it will play. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance. (The album is BBC Radio 2: Sounds of the 80s)
Hi Melanie, last time I looked (last weekend) it was all working for me.

Your problem sounds different. If you're playing local 'rips' of songs there's no reason why they should be greyed out.
(I'm slightly confused though; you say they're greyed out in the playlist - presumably in the Sonos app. But then you play them as a 'local' file through Sonos - is this also through the Sonos app?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
melanie.hardman wrote:

I couldn't find the album on spotify (hence buying it), so created a playlist from my local versions of the song. Most of the songs on this playlist are greyed out on when played via sonos, but if I try to play the album as a local file directly through sonos it will play.

Local songs from Spotify on your computer or phone won't be able to play through Sonos. Sonos is only able to play songs from Spotify servers.

You might be able to create a Sonos playlist with music from both sources (Spotify and your local library), however I don't know if music from a phone can be saved into a playlist since playlists would be accessible from any Sonos controller, but the music may not be present on other devices.
kwackers wrote:

Hi Melanie, last time I looked (last weekend) it was all working for me.

Your problem sounds different. If you're playing local 'rips' of songs there's no reason why they should be greyed out.
(I'm slightly confused though; you say they're greyed out in the playlist - presumably in the Sonos app. But then you play them as a 'local' file through Sonos - is this also through the Sonos app?)

Hi kwackers, thank you for replying. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

So if I access the playlist I created in Spotify through Sonos - most of the songs are greyed out, but if I access the songs via "on this iphone" through the album name they all show up, I can also find the album when I do the same search via "on my ipad" too - which is weird, as there are not local to the ipad.

This might have made it even more confusing! Thank you any help - really appreciate it.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)