Question

Google WiFi and Sonos

• 14 December 2016
  • 28 replies

Badge
I have seen at the least one bad review concerning the new Google WiFi and Sonos. Can anybody add comments to this subject? I have preordered the gadget with Amazon and, of course, I am worried about it. Thanks in advance for your time!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

I set up Google wifi with 3 wifi points. So as not to have to reset passwords on the devices that had connected to my old wifi router, I disabled wifi on the old router and gave Google WiFi the same SSID and Password as my old router. All my devices connected to Google WiFi... EXCEPT Sonos. So, I connected one Sonos device to one Google WiFi point using an ethernet cable. Went into "Settings / Advanced Settings / Wireless Setup" on the Sonos App and set it up like a new network. Worked fine and all my Sonos devices connected to the network and could be controlled from all my Sonos controllers. Not sure why Sonos didn't connect automatically to Google WiFi, when every other device did, but this worked fine.
I got it to work fairly quickly. Take each of your sonos speakers (one at a time) and manually plug them in to your main google wifi router with an ethernet cable and plug it into a power outlet. Then, change your phone or controller device to the same wifi network. Open Sonos and go to Settings>Advanced Settings>WifiNetwork it will walk you through the steps to get that speaker to talk to THAT network. Do this for each speaker and PRESTO! Done.
I got it to work fairly quickly. Take each of your sonos speakers (one at a time) and manually plug them in to your main google wifi router with an ethernet cable and plug it into a power outlet. Then, change your phone or controller device to the same wifi network. Open Sonos and go to Settings>Advanced Settings>WifiNetwork it will walk you through the steps to get that speaker to talk to THAT network. Do this for each speaker and PRESTO! Done.
You don't need to do it for each player individually. Simply wire one Sonos unit to the Google device and power up all of the Sonos components. They'll mesh together wirelessly. You then only need to enter the WiFi details once.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3319/~/switching-your-system-between-a-standard-and-boost-setup