Google Play music moves to the next track before the end of the previous song

• 11 January 2019
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
Sonos Play 1 Amazon Music unlimited works flawlessly, but Google Play music prematurely moves on to the next track before the end of the song. This seems like a lack of compatibility between Sonos and Google Play music. It happens regardless of casting from the Google Play Music app, or from the Sonos App. All other streaming music services operate as expected. Google play music plays back correctly through my Nvidia Shield, Chromecast Audio and other chromecast devices. One of which sits near the Sonos, ruling out network connectivity issues, if the fact that other streaming services work fine wasn't enough to convince you. And of course when not Streaming through the Sonos Google Play Music works as expected on my Samsung S9. So far a bit disappointed with this product and the lack of support for Youtube Music as well.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I just fixed this on my phone! 

Clear the cache and then clear the storage in the app settings for Google Play Music. 

All of your important data should be backed up on Google's servers so you shouldn't lose anything except for some minor app settings when you clear the storage.

Hope this helps!! 

New to Sonos, out of box I am having this problem. This is the most current thread I can find relevant to my setup. All apps and hardware are current.

Pixel 3 casting GPM stream to Play:1, skips the last bit of the track. And it doesn't matter if I start the stream from within the Sonos app or from the GPM app. Also, it should be noted, when casting, GPM recognizes it is casting, but it will not update the icon as it would for other cast-enabled devices.

Network interference is a tech speak for "not our problem." However, for good measure, I rebooted my router and the Play:1, as seen on other threads. The problem still exists.

Between this issue and not being able to group up with my other non-Sonos devices in Google Home, I am about to pack it up and return it.
They don't even care about us.

/Thread
edward.peterson, you should do what SteveNes did, and then contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.
Badge
Just adding in here that this is still an issue for me, just in case anyone is listening.
I'm pretty sure that this is no Wifi issue. I have my Playbase connected using the ethernet cable and deactivated Wifi for the Playbase. So it is wired to a rock solid 100 MBit Internet connection.

For me the issue started and now occurs for every track. I started the playback using GPM. Once the playlist was playing I put the phone to flight mode. Two my understanding now only the Sonos Playbase and the Sonos/Google servers should be communicating.

I suggest not to invest time to fix your Wifi. Based on the previous posts it is unlikely to be related to this issue. The time is better spent contacting the Sonos or Google support. Unfortunately my general experience with Google support is very bad if something does not work as intended even for paid services. (e.g. GMail, Google Photos)

My diagnostics are submitted # 484335088

Steve
I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
I am having the same problem casting from and Android phone to a play 5. This has only been a recent problem, possibly a month. Quite frustrating. I like GPM but may have to cancel the subscription and move to Spotify.
I put a support ticket through and there wasn't anything they would / could do for me. So basically the end result was i should use their app to play music on my speakers. I seem to remember them advertising when google play casting was first supported. Anyway, it's a bit frustrating. i'm making do with using the app instead.
Badge
I still have the same problem. Even now that I've enabled Google assistant 😅
Has a fix been found for this? New Sonos issue with same problem. Sonos support tells me Google Play Music app casting isn't supported.
Well i'm having the issue and have been having it for a few months.
I've just contacted support and have submitted diagnostics #1203492892.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
While I post in generalities, in hopes that others will find the information useful when they come upon the thread at a later date, I'll certainly stop bothering you. My sincere apologies. I hope that you can find your way to being part of a solution to this issue.

Bruce, rather than just reading the last post in a thread, it'd be better to read up-thread also, in order to understand the context of posts; that way your input can be calibrated accordingly. After all, there is little point in advising people of what they already know and have already covered in the thread - it just wastes everyone's time, including your own, distracting you from your generous mission to help people.
While I post in generalities, in hopes that others will find the information useful when they come upon the thread at a later date, I'll certainly stop bothering you. My sincere apologies. I hope that you can find your way to being part of a solution to this issue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
In the great majority of "skipping", the answer tends to be some sort of wifi interference. You could get Sonos to look at your particular case if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Deary me, this is poor.

You wrote a similarly, essentially useless, reply to me earlier up the thread, which if you'd bothered reading, you'll see that this has *all* been covered multiple times already.

As customers, we're waiting for Sonos to liaise with Google in order to identify and fix the problem. No one's holding their breath, though, since GPM is apparently living on borrowed time and seemingly destined for the knacker's yard.

Sonos support staff allegedly denying that GPM casting to Sonos is even a supported function is a new one though, but is consistent with the direction of travel re GPM, which appears to be "you're on your own folks, good luck". What's shabby is that no one has actually come out and stated this, and instead customers are left to suffer a 3rd rate experience.
In the great majority of "skipping", the answer tends to be some sort of wifi interference. You could get Sonos to look at your particular case if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I am told by a Sonos rep that casting to Sonos is unsupported. So -- it's not their problem.

Ha ha! You've got to be taking the p!ss.

It's been supported for years:

1. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2441?language=en_US

2. https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/6000306?hl=en-US

Who exactly at Sonos told you that?

Incidentally, my system has started to skip again with a vengeance, such that currently it's essentially unusable. Impressed, oh yes!
I am told by a Sonos rep that casting to Sonos is unsupported. So -- it's not their problem.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Or, you could consider providing a diagnostic from your system and posting the resultant number here. This could give the Sonos folks the opportunity to help analyze the problem that you are experiencing in order to see if it is a problem with your local setup, a problem with the Sonos software, or a problem on Google’s side.

If you look up-thread you'll see that a month ago I wrote the following:

Make sure you log the bug with Sonos support, along with diagnostics, otherwise they won't even know the problem exists and it'll never get fixed.

...and I have reported the problem myself, with Diagnostics, on a couple of occasions covering two different Sonos setups. But as the various posts from others confirm, the problem persists (intermittently), hence my impression that nobody at Google/Sonos is really actively working to fix it (else such a serious problem would've been fixed by now). My assumption is that those at Google who might investigate/fix it are all now focussed on other projects, ie. Youtube Music, with no time for this legacy stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's 100% how it appears.
Or, you could consider providing a diagnostic from your system and posting the resultant number here. This could give the Sonos folks the opportunity to help analyze the problem that you are experiencing in order to see if it is a problem with your local setup, a problem with the Sonos software, or a problem on Google’s side.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
This problem has been coming and going for me for a few months now. When the problem manifests, it's really quite annoying...

Whatever the cause - and whoever's responsible (Google or Sonos) - the impression given is that it doesn't look like anyone's much interested in fixing it. Maybe it'll go away 'by accident' as a side effect of some other fix or feature being rolled out one day. Or, if we wait long enough (< year), it'll probably go away permanently when GPM itself gets sunsetted in favour of YT Music.

With the latter in mind - and prompted by this as yet unfixed problem - it may be wise to begin considering replacing GPM with another music service. Maybe try some others out in case YT Music + Sonos never measures up, eg. in case we're never able to cast to Sonos from the YT Music app.
Same problem here Pixel 2, GPM --- when casting to Sonos -- clips end of each song. Also, I tried using a Audio chromecast connected to my sonos and will get the message that the GPM account is being used at more than one device when casting to chromecast via Pixel 2.
Same problem here. Not much help from Google - just generic reset/clear/on-off steps. Let know folks if you solve the problem.
I'm getting the same issue, seems to be quite consistent cutting out in the last 10 seconds for me. It's definitely not a WiFi issue, it's software. I can get it to behave correctly for a short while by disconnectimg and reconnecting, but it's infuriating as it will start happening after a couple of tracks. Suspiciously Google Play works flawlessly on my phone and casting to other devices. Sonos need to address this!
Userlevel 1
Same problem here, of course Sonos support blamed the wireless network, not impressed. Tried playing Play Music through the Sonos app and it is nice to listen to the whole song again! I just sent Feedback to Google. Going to go rate the app with this, see if gets some attention.