Google Play music moves to the next track before the end of the previous song

Sonos Play 1 Amazon Music unlimited works flawlessly, but Google Play music prematurely moves on to the next track before the end of the song. This seems like a lack of compatibility between Sonos and Google Play music. It happens regardless of casting from the Google Play Music app, or from the Sonos App. All other streaming music services operate as expected. Google play music plays back correctly through my Nvidia Shield, Chromecast Audio and other chromecast devices. One of which sits near the Sonos, ruling out network connectivity issues, if the fact that other streaming services work fine wasn't enough to convince you. And of course when not Streaming through the Sonos Google Play Music works as expected on my Samsung S9. So far a bit disappointed with this product and the lack of support for Youtube Music as well.

16 replies

Same problem here. Odd thing is, this problem did not exist a couple weeks ago, just cropped up suddenly. Although I see similar issues (mostly with iOS and AirPlay) on other forum threads, I will say that I had this exact same problem a couple years ago with Google Play Music using just a bluetooth or other external speaker. At that time, Google had me uninstall/reinstall/clear cache/clear downloads on the device. It seemed to work back then. I tried everything again last night on both my Pixel XL and Huawei Media Pad tablet, but both experienced the issue identically. On Google Play, I was merely playing a radio station based on an artist, so I'm not streaming my own albums or uploaded files.
Adding more details...

After some experimentation, I found that if I attempt to CAST from the Google Play Music app, the songs will prematurely end and skip to the next song. (If you watch the progress of the current track, you'll see at some point a weird *blip* where the timeline reverts to 0:00 and then immediately back to the current progress. Might be related?)

However, if I launch Google Play Music through the Sonos app, it is rock solid and does not prematurely end/skip. Strange, yes?

This tells me it is nothing to do with my wireless network but rather some problem with the CAST function in the Google Play Music app. I have reported this to Google/YouTube but no response yet.
Badge
I have the same problem here, starting music from my android phone, through google play music using cast (which by the way is not actually casting from the phone to the sonos, but more telling sonos one to connect to google play music servers and stream from there, as when I turn off my phone the music still works).
It's getting worse, or seems like it. Before, it would do it only rarely, but now it's every song !!! Cut partially through, it feels really bad. From my sonos app on my computer, the results are the same...
Oh, and I have two sonos ones in the room.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
boomstickbrew wrote:

If you watch the progress of the current track, you'll see at some point a weird *blip* where the timeline reverts to 0:00 and then immediately back to the current progress. Might be related?

I see exactly the same thing here, and I expect others will also. Seems to happen consistently within the last 60 seconds of the track. I certainly expect this is related to the playback bug that's manifesting, which for me impacts every single track being cast from GPM to Sonos.

Normally, I'd be encouraged to find numerous other people experiencing the same software blip/bug as me since it means it's a common problem so a fix will likely emerge rapido....

...however, for a while now - and very sadly - Sonos has given the impression of not caring much about GPM integration so I won't hold my breath about a quick resolution. Evidence for this is that the OP was made 16 days ago yet no fix has appeared. That is a very significant degradation of service (rendering GPM->Sonos casting largely unusable) for over two weeks now.

Which is all a shame, as it was GPM integration that first drew me to Sonos (I was a GPM customer before I was a Sonos customer), but their lack of interest in fixing bugs, never mind advancing functionality, has been noted by me and will affect future purchasing decisions I make.
Just wanted to pipe up and say that the same thing is happening to me as well. I am using a Pixel 3XL to control my Play:1, if anyone from Sonos cares to help troubleshoot thing. I have begrudgingly resorted to using the Sonos app because casting from GPM results in songs skipping near the end, as others have described. It's not every song, but it happens often enough to be a problem.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Shoren wrote:

Just wanted to pipe up and say that the same thing is happening to me as well. I am using a Pixel 3XL to control my Play:1, if anyone from Sonos cares to help troubleshoot thing.

Make sure you log the bug with Sonos support, along with diagnostics, otherwise they won't even know the problem exists and it'll never get fixed.

Same applies to everyone experiencing this problem. :D
RDog wrote:

...however, for a while now - and very sadly - Sonos has given the impression of not caring much about GPM integration so I won't hold my breath about a quick resolution. Evidence for this is that the OP was made 16 days ago yet no fix has appeared. That is a very significant degradation of service (rendering GPM->Sonos casting largely unusable) for over two weeks now.

Based on my troubleshooting steps, I'm viewing this more as a Google problem than a Sonos problem. GPM does seem to work flawlessly from within the Sonos app. It's the Cast function from GPM itself that seems to go off the rails. As I mentioned above, I had this same issue a few years back with a different Android device using GPM and broadcasting to a bluetooth speaker (can't recall if it was Cast or not). Eventually Google fixed it and all was well for a few years. I imagine this bug has crept back up in GPM and infected the Cast functionality. I have sent a report to Google from within the GPM app, but haven't heard anything back yet. I would encourage everyone else to do the same.
Same problem here how do I submit a diagnostic? Just started happening but happens very consistently now incredibly annoying...
xinunix wrote:

Same problem here how do I submit a diagnostic?

In the Google Play Music app, go to the menu (3 bars upper left) and choose "Help & Feedback" at the bottom. On the next screen, scroll to the very bottom and choose "Send Feedback"
Same problem here, of course Sonos support blamed the wireless network, not impressed. Tried playing Play Music through the Sonos app and it is nice to listen to the whole song again! I just sent Feedback to Google. Going to go rate the app with this, see if gets some attention.
I'm getting the same issue, seems to be quite consistent cutting out in the last 10 seconds for me. It's definitely not a WiFi issue, it's software. I can get it to behave correctly for a short while by disconnectimg and reconnecting, but it's infuriating as it will start happening after a couple of tracks. Suspiciously Google Play works flawlessly on my phone and casting to other devices. Sonos need to address this!
Same problem here. Not much help from Google - just generic reset/clear/on-off steps. Let know folks if you solve the problem.
Same problem here Pixel 2, GPM --- when casting to Sonos -- clips end of each song. Also, I tried using a Audio chromecast connected to my sonos and will get the message that the GPM account is being used at more than one device when casting to chromecast via Pixel 2.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
This problem has been coming and going for me for a few months now. When the problem manifests, it's really quite annoying...

Whatever the cause - and whoever's responsible (Google or Sonos) - the impression given is that it doesn't look like anyone's much interested in fixing it. Maybe it'll go away 'by accident' as a side effect of some other fix or feature being rolled out one day. Or, if we wait long enough (< year), it'll probably go away permanently when GPM itself gets sunsetted in favour of YT Music.

With the latter in mind - and prompted by this as yet unfixed problem - it may be wise to begin considering replacing GPM with another music service. Maybe try some others out in case YT Music + Sonos never measures up, eg. in case we're never able to cast to Sonos from the YT Music app.
Or, you could consider providing a diagnostic from your system and posting the resultant number here. This could give the Sonos folks the opportunity to help analyze the problem that you are experiencing in order to see if it is a problem with your local setup, a problem with the Sonos software, or a problem on Google’s side.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Airgetlam wrote:

Or, you could consider providing a diagnostic from your system and posting the resultant number here. This could give the Sonos folks the opportunity to help analyze the problem that you are experiencing in order to see if it is a problem with your local setup, a problem with the Sonos software, or a problem on Google’s side.

If you look up-thread you'll see that a month ago I wrote the following:

Make sure you log the bug with Sonos support, along with diagnostics, otherwise they won't even know the problem exists and it'll never get fixed.

...and I have reported the problem myself, with Diagnostics, on a couple of occasions covering two different Sonos setups. But as the various posts from others confirm, the problem persists (intermittently), hence my impression that nobody at Google/Sonos is really actively working to fix it (else such a serious problem would've been fixed by now). My assumption is that those at Google who might investigate/fix it are all now focussed on other projects, ie. Youtube Music, with no time for this legacy stuff.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's 100% how it appears.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings