Google Play Music Instant Mix (and radio) repeats tracks

Userlevel 1
Hi there,

I use the Instant Mix feature on my Sonos system(s) a lot and I love it. The only problem is that the title track of the Instant Mix tends to get repeated, sometimes quite frequently, while playing the Instant Mix. It seems not all Instant Mixes are affected in the same manner. Some of them repeat the title track every 4 or 5 songs, while some of them only repeat the title track every 10 or 15 songs.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and is there a fix/workaround for it? I seem to have the same problem when I used the "Start Radio" feature on a song I like.

I imagine it wouldn't be too complicated to expect a playlist not to repeat tracks?

Thanks

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Yes - I have - it is extremely annoying!
Any fixes to this? New to sonos and yes, it is annoying.
I'm having the same issue still. In the google play apps it will typically be 30+ songs until the original song repeats. It looks like every 10 songs Sonos is restarting the radio since it has a much longer buffering period before it starts to play the original song again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

Can you try reproducing the issue, then sending in a diagnostic report and replying with the confirmation number? Also, please reply with the specific playlist and let us know which tracks repeat.
Userlevel 1
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for looking into it.
I just submitted a support diagnostic and got confirmation # 219533306.
The Google Play Music list was a suggestion from Google Play within Sonos and the main track is labelled "12 Inhaler Jam" by Foals. And that is the song that has repeated a few times while playing this list now. I will send more reports when it happens again with another list. I haven't been using these lists much recently, for that reason.
Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Ok, I was able to reproduce it again, this time by selecting a track in my Google Play music selection and picking "Start Radio". The song is called "In and Out" by Out Cold. I didn't count how many tracks went by, but "In and Out" came back into the playlist quite quickly.
I sent another report with confirmation # 425331204.
Let me know if you need some more testing done.
Thx.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for looking into it.
I just submitted a support diagnostic and got confirmation # 219533306.
The Google Play Music list was a suggestion from Google Play within Sonos and the main track is labelled "12 Inhaler Jam" by Foals. And that is the song that has repeated a few times while playing this list now. I will send more reports when it happens again with another list. I haven't been using these lists much recently, for that reason.
Thanks!

Thanks for testing it out. I've looked into it and when using the radio feature of Google Play there will sometimes be repeat songs. Most of the time this happens when Google Play doesn't have a lot of different tracks to play off which ever seed is used when creating the radio station.

If songs load into the Sonos queue, we can control repeat songs by not enabling the repeat function, and making sure the same song isn't in the queue twice, but with Google Play's radio feature, we can't alter the songs available.
Hi jeff, I also have the same problem. But I don't quite agree with what you've said about not enough tracks from the seed. When I create the same radio in the Google app, the original song isn't repeated at all, but in the Sonos app, as above, can replay every five tracks or every 15 or so tracks. Here is the Sonos diagnostic 911504905. And here is a radio playlist of the same song from Google Play app https://play.google.com/music/playlist/AMaBXylQC3smMUVrHwmCersphaG7cXnAMdhGFaJ2fGd4kLe9B_oeTM0a39DVrQJaqceE-sSXhOtZnYlI4CjDG6uKxeb-p3oFhg%3D%3D

Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Wes
Userlevel 1
Hi Jeff,
I would agree with Wes here.
Playing lists using the same seeds using the Google app itself does not create repeats. It only happens while on the Sonos app. I use Google Play to broadcast over many different systems, including my car stereo and various portable bluetooth devices. I never get the repeats using those.
Thanks}
Chuck
Agreed with the most recent two posts. Instant mix is not available inside Sonos when selecting a track or an artist or album from Google Music library. However start radio is available in Sonos and causes whatever track one starts with to repeat quite frequently. This is not an issue when playing an Instant Mix from a track directly from Google Music (in which case Google creates a 25 song playlist from a single selection), and then choosing Sonos as the speaker output–however this bypasses Sonos is controller app entirely. There should be a way to create an Instant Mix from songs already in my Google Music library without having tracks repeat, directly from Sonos's app or controller. Sonos, it's been years, please resolve this issue already!
**I would love Sonos to incorporate Google Music's Instant Mix (or an equivalent) in the Sonos Controller app. As someone who has an extensive Google Music Library, and is not a Google Radio user, I find the "Start Radio" feature pretty lame compared to Instant Mix from my own library. Unfortunately this requires casting from a device's Google Music App to a Sonos speaker or Amp, when I'd much prefer to stay in the Sonos ecosystem entirely for my music.

Alternatively, it would be nice to designate a cloud location like Google Music as my primary Music Library in Sonos.