Answered

Google Play Music - Access Denied

Hi,

I have 3 sonos speakers in the house, all on the same network.
I primarily use Google Play Music from 2 android devices and cast to the Sonos kit.

I can play Google music from the Sonos Controller Desktop app on my windows laptop, but when trying to cast from my android device the sonos kit refuses to play anything.

The diagnostic logs from the desktop controller show the following:-
Thursday, 8 November 2018 - 6:56 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'The Riverboat Song' - access is denied.

On the android device it shows:-
Music Playback Error
Could play the track that you requested.

But the track will play fine on the android device, and I have tried this using 2 different android devices.

I have submitted support diagnostics, the conf. number is:- 1117463352
Desktop controller version 9.2, build 46357250
Google Play Music version 8.16.7620-1.J
Play:5 software version 46.3-57250

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Craig.
icon

Best answer by dmcclint9 14 November 2018, 02:45

Got it to work.....Sonos Support told me to do the following:

"Something might have happened with your Google Play account. Would you remove Google Play from Sonos and add it back in, then log out of the Google Play app and log back in."

So I logged out of Google Play Music, removed the account from within Sonos, then signed back into both and am now listening to a song on Sonos that was cast from Google play music app......Good luck to everyone.

Dave
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

"Something might have happened with your Google Play account. Would you remove Google Play from Sonos and add it back in, then log out of the Google Play app and log back in."

So I logged out of Google Play Music, removed the account from within Sonos, then signed back into both and am now listening to a song on Sonos that was cast from Google play music app......Good luck to everyone.

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

I have 3 sonos speakers in the house, all on the same network.
I primarily use Google Play Music from 2 android devices and cast to the Sonos kit.

I can play Google music from the Sonos Controller Desktop app on my windows laptop, but when trying to cast from my android device the sonos kit refuses to play anything.

The diagnostic logs from the desktop controller show the following:-
Thursday, 8 November 2018 - 6:56 PM Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, London
Unable to play 'The Riverboat Song' - access is denied.

On the android device it shows:-
Music Playback Error
Could play the track that you requested.

But the track will play fine on the android device, and I have tried this using 2 different android devices.

I have submitted support diagnostics, the conf. number is:- 1117463352
Desktop controller version 9.2, build 46357250
Google Play Music version 8.16.7620-1.J
Play:5 software version 46.3-57250

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Craig.

Hi Craig,

Are the track you are trying to play stored on your Android device's memory? If so, they can't be cast from Google Play to Sonos. You should be able to play the tracks from the "This mobile device" menu in the Sonos app, or if you upload the songs to your Google Play library.

Hi Craig,

Are the track you are trying to play stored on your Android device's memory? If so, they can't be cast from Google Play to Sonos. You should be able to play the tracks from the "This mobile device" menu in the Sonos app, or if you upload the songs to your Google Play library.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

All tracks are stored in the Google play music cloud.
They are not stored anywhere on the local network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Craig,

Hi, thanks for the reply.

All tracks are stored in the Google play music cloud.
They are not stored anywhere on the local network.

Do you have trouble playing all tracks when casting from Google Play or from certain tracks? If it's only certain tracks, can you give an example so I can test them out?
Hi,

Not any specific track, it's anything from GPM that refuses to play.
I have tried re-authing my google account to sonos aswell.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,

Not any specific track, it's anything from GPM that refuses to play.
I have tried re-authing my google account to sonos aswell.

In this case it would be best to continue troubleshooting with our phone team. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number here.
I am having this exact same problem. I used to be able to use the Google Play Music app on my Android phone to play music stored online and 'Cast' to my Sonos. now when I try it, the app skips all the songs and on my Mac computer, the Sonos app says "unable to play access is denied". This has been happening the last week or two at least. I've rebooted the Sonos Amp and my phone. They are all up to date.

Did you get this fixed, CJ ?

Thanks

Did you get this fixed, CJ ?

Thanks

Hi,

The issue remains.
As the support phone line is open between 9-5, and I work 7:30-5, I am planning on contacting them when I am off next week.

I will let you know how I get on.

CJ
Hi CJ, I just called them and they said it should work. The suggestion I've got so far is to reboot my router. The problem for me is I'm in an office so I can't do that right now.
I should try this at home on my Sonos there. I'll try to remember to do it tonight to see if it's limited to a single Sonos or if it's more than 1.
I am having the same problem. I have been using Google Play Music for a year now with no issues. About a week ago it stopped working. I don't recall an update to either GPM or Sonos. I have rebooted, resynced, restarted, re-everything and nothing has worked. I finally sent in my diagnostic and the last reply said "If the issue still persists, I recommend just using the Sonos app to control music playback instead of using a 3rd party for audio casting to Sonos". I use my phone via headphones and then will cast to Sonos when I am able. Unless Sonos wants to set up their app for us to be able to listen to our music via our phone, they need to fix this.
I am having the same problem. I have been using Google Play Music for a year now with no issues. About a week ago it stopped working. I don't recall an update to either GPM or Sonos. I have rebooted, resynced, restarted, re-everything and nothing has worked. I finally sent in my diagnostic and the last reply said "If the issue still persists, I recommend just using the Sonos app to control music playback instead of using a 3rd party for audio casting to Sonos". I use my phone via headphones and then will cast to Sonos when I am able. Unless Sonos wants to set up their app for us to be able to listen to our music via our phone, they need to fix this.
Another down side to this is I don't have a Google Music subscription - I cast my uploaded music from Google Music onto Sonos. This is using a free google account - no need to add it to Sonos as a service. I also have an Amazon Music account for most music but there is some stuff you just can't get from streaming services. When I want to listen to it, I always have my phone and uploaded music anywhere.

I would switch from Amazon Music to Google Music and add it as a service but Google Music doesn't work with Alexa 😕
Hi CJ, I just called them and they said it should work. The suggestion I've got so far is to reboot my router. The problem for me is I'm in an office so I can't do that right now.
I should try this at home on my Sonos there. I'll try to remember to do it tonight to see if it's limited to a single Sonos or if it's more than 1.

I had the same conversation with a support person via instant messaging, rebooting everything didn't work.

The only logical step is to speak with them directly via phone.

I'll keep you posted.
I tried Google Play at home last night on my Playbase and casting to that worked fine. It is still not working at my work on the Sonos Connect Amp though. I have yet to try restarting my network equipment because like I said before, I'm in an office. At least I can be quite confident it's not the app or my phone.

Dave

Nice one Dave.

I cleared all GPM accounts from my Sonos and re-added them.
It's all working no.

Thanks for the assist 😃