Question

Google Play keeps stopping randomly in middle of songs and other problems...

• 25 August 2019
  • 40 replies

Show first post

40 replies

Badge +2
Alright, had time to call them again. As it was skipping again this morning/today.

Long story short, they don't know why this is happening but want to blame my bandwidth. I asked what is the requirement and the guy told me 3Mbps. Since I have 1GBps Up/down--and I check it regularly and rarely see it drop below 800Mbps, I don't understand why their diagnostics insist it's a lack of bandwidth.

Also, I stream EVERYTHING in my home. We have no TV service we just stream. I regularly stream 4k with no buffering, at night when everyone is banging away at the Internet around here. Also, everything goes back to a dumb switch then to the ATT Internet router. The switch is GB speed as well. It was all installed by my best friend who is the CTO at a large(ish) company in NY. He connected everything and tested everything. He originally started out pulling cables, etc. and built the entire network for his company spanning 20-something offices, etc. So he knows what he's doing.

They had me set it up to have one of my speakers stay wired and connect the others via SonosNet (?) and it's still happening. I explained I need to know why it's not working via a wired connection. They're referring it to 2nd level support.

Basically, I'm very annoyed they can't get this worked out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Often when Sonos folks are talking about bandwidth they aren't concerned about your connection to the Internet's speed but the bandwidth of your internal network. Do you have any local music source configured that you could check to see if it is an internal or external issue?

You can do some looking on your own, the Network Matrix is a big help http://172.16.1.115:1400/support/review just replace my Sonos IP with yours. Since you aren't using WiFi and have the radios disabled you should just see the connections.

I didn't see it mentioned but if you have a Bridge try pulling the power cord on it and see if things improve.

When you wired your Sonos did you remove the SSID and passphrase from your controller? Sometimes when mixing the two modes you will see issues. That shouldn't be happening with the radios off but it is worth a look.

You can also check the controller About screen to insure all are in WM0 mode.

Tossing out an unlikely fix, have you assigned static/reserved IPs to your Sonos gear? That and a power-cycle of each piece has stabilized a lot of systems with odd issues.
Badge +2
Thanks so much for the reply Stanley, let me answer your questions:

"Often when Sonos folks are talking about bandwidth they aren't concerned about your connection to the Internet's speed but the bandwidth of your internal network. Do you have any local music source configured that you could check to see if it is an internal or external issue?"

As I mentioned, my internal network is also a GB network. Not sure what you mean by a local music source. Happy to do this but not sure how to do it.

"You can do some looking on your own, the Network Matrix is a big help http://172.16.1.115:1400/support/review just replace my Sonos IP with yours. Since you aren't using WiFi and have the radios disabled you should just see the connections."

I'll have to look into this. Thank you.

"I didn't see it mentioned but if you have a Bridge try pulling the power cord on it and see if things improve."

I don't have a Bridge.

"When you wired your Sonos did you remove the SSID and passphrase from your controller? Sometimes when mixing the two modes you will see issues. That shouldn't be happening with the radios off but it is worth a look."

I guess the answer to this is no as I don't know how to do this.

"You can also check the controller About screen to insure all are in WM0 mode."

This is something else I'm not sure how to do. Where do I find this setting? Just looked in Settings and couldn't find anything.

"Tossing out an unlikely fix, have you assigned static/reserved IPs to your Sonos gear? That and a power-cycle of each piece has stabilized a lot of systems with odd issues."

Haven't assigned a static IP, I'll have to add that to something to try. Everything has definitely been power-cycled. This has been happening for about a year now.

I appreciate the suggestions. Will try what I know how to do. It's very frustrating.

Rick
Badge +2

Ok, another update:

Spent about 3 hours on the phone with one of their 2nd-level support (or whatever they call it) people. Very nice guy who was very patient and tried LOTS of things. Turns out, my bandwidth is fine--as I told them--but there’s a problem with connecting to Google’s servers. They lose connection with them occasionally, which causes the skipping.

They don’t know why but at least we now know the problem. Now, if they’ll be able to work with Google and fix it, I think a lot of us will be happy….

The challenge there is that it’s also possible that there is no issue at the Google side, but instead an issue somewhere in between, with a bad router/DNS server somewhere along the path. 
I hope it gets fixed quickly!

Badge +2

The guy on the phone looked into all of that and eliminated these possibilities. He was ruling out EVERYTHING on my side before looking at Google. My internal network and Internet connection is solid. 

If you google this issue with Sonos you’ll see lots of complaints about it. That tells me it’s something on the Google side or with the implementation on the Sonos side. Just want them to fix it.

Yup, that doesn’t alter the fact that there’s a lot of internet connections between you (and everyone else) and Google.

Badge +2

Thank you for that, however, I’m well-aware of how the Internet works as is the person who was helping me.

GadgetRick,

Are all your speakers actually cabled all the way back to the main router, or are any of them cabled to other access points, Hubs, or network switches. I’m suspecting a few things…

• Airtime Fairness operating on the router itself.
  • Cable issues
  • Network Device, or Switch problems

However, without being physically present, or able to see precisely what’s going on, it’s difficult (as another user) to diagnose. This would be my suggestion however to fix things, assuming it’s not a router compatibility problem:

• I would ensure all Sonos devices have their WiFi cards enabled.
  • Uncable all devices except one Sonos device, which must be left cabled direct to the main router
  • Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App network settings to one that is at least 5 channels away from the main routers 2.4ghz wifi channel. So if the WiFi Channel is on 6 then set SonosNet to either 1 or 11.
  • Goto “Settings/System/Networks/Wireless Setup” and reset/remove any existing WiFi credentials stored there (if any).
  • Switch off any wifi access points, repeaters, wireless hubs.
  • Optionally add the Sonos IP addresses to the main routers DHCP Reservation Table.
  • Ensure the Sonos mobile controller is running on the same main router WiFi, or that the Sonos desktop controller is attached to the same LAN/subnet.

See if that then fixes things. 

Badge +2

Thanks Ken, I’ve already done HOURS of troubleshooting with Sonos. As I’ve said, this has been determined to be a problem with the connection to Google Play Music. They need to work on it.

Thanks Ken, I’ve already done HOURS of troubleshooting with Sonos. As I’ve said, this has been determined to be a problem with the connection to Google Play Music. They need to work on it.

So did Sonos suggest doing all the things I mentioned above, with just one device wired, removing the stored WiFi credentials and separating out the potential overlapping channels during the troubleshooting?

I (and a good many others) don’t appear to having any issues with Google at the present time. It most likely is therefore going to be a local network setup issue.

Badge +2

Yes, we went through everything. My network is 100% fine. He was looking at the traffic as we were doing various things and that’s how they determined this.

There are a LOT of people having issues with Google Play Music and Sonos. Not everyone but a good number of people judging from searches.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I know it's probably because of wifi interference. That's what I'm asking as I'm not using wifi.

Hi 

Just to be clear even though your speakers are wired to your router you are still most likely using Wi-Fi to connect your iOS or Android device and the Sonos app by proxy.  Moving on….

Since all you speakers are wired have you checked your routers admin page for updates? If available install them.

Next you should unplug all Sonos and other wired/wireless products including range extenders and reboot your router (let it come back).

Then plug-in Sonos 1x1 and let each come back before moving to the next.

After that plug in your other wired and wireless products (except range extenders). 

Now test your Sonos. 

Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!

Badge +2

Thanks AjTrek, it’s not my network, we’ve determined that after literally HOURS of troubleshooting with the people from Sonos. The 2nd-level people dug in deep. 

Well, you can lead a horse to water, but...