Answered

Google Nest mesh network conundrum

• 8 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello.

I have several Play 1 units, an Amp and a Connect (all S1) working great on a new Nest (Google) Mesh network.  All units show in my System as WM = 1 so all wirelessly connected directly to the mesh and with full app control.  No issues.

However, I have two Play 1s that I want to reconnect to my system that have been switched off and not used for around six months.  These two units will not connect.  I’ve tried all sorts so far starting with trying to set them up in the app via both adding a new unit and adding a missing product with no success.  I’ve factory reset them to a green light and still no joy with getting them connected.

The app takes me so far in setting them up and then complains that it can no longer connect to the unit putting me back to  square 1 each time.  I’m trying each one individually (not both at the same time).  

If I plug in the errant units and leave them for a minute or so they show a solid white light but are not visible in the app.

Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Bluesden 8 August 2022, 13:34

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

If the Play:1’s have not been updated for quite a long time and won’t receive the latest update when wired, then you may need the help of Sonos Support Staff to get them up and running on the latest version of their firmware, however I would first try this…

Wire an existing up-to-date standalone Sonos product to a ‘switch’ off the main Nest router Hub and let all devices switchover to WM:0 then wire the speaker you are trying to setup to the same switch, factory reset the Play:1 and try the setup again. Do not daisy chain the Play:1 off another Sonos device. If no joy with that, then give Support a call.

Temporarily wire one of your existing Sonos devices to the second port on the Google mesh primary node. Wait 2-3 mins. Check that all devices now show WM:0.

Then try again to factory reset and add your two Play:1s.

A mere six months offline should be neither here nor there in terms of being able to update to the latest version.

UPDATE = FIXED

I’ll post my update in the hope it helps someone else…

I tried again to get the units connected.  I plugged the first unit in to the wall, waited and saw a solid white light.  Checking my wireless device list it was indeed part of the mesh network with an IP address.  I opened up my Sonos S1 app and under ‘Rooms’ it showed I had an unconfigured device.  Clicking on this I successfully configured the unit and it now works fine within the app.  Ditto for the second Play 1.

What was different this time around?

By chance, I had moved the units to be next to the mesh router (2 feet away) whereas before I was trying to set up in a room that had a mesh ‘point’ or ‘node’.  My conclusion is that the units connected to the router and somehow this provided them with a ‘direct’ connection to the mesh network rather than an ‘indirect’ connection through the ‘Point’.  This was all wireless, no Ethernet cable.

Whatever happened all units appear in the S1 app and play nicely together on the Mesh now.  Job done.  :-)

So the Play:1s had been added to the system after all, but then the controller subsequently lost contact with them? Unfortunately this type of glitch can occur during setup when the system’s operating in WiFi (‘wireless’) mode. 

@Bluesden,
There are some talked-about issues with Google Nest WiFi alongside Sonos and you may find this thread-link below useful, that’s if you do ever encounter any further issues, but I’m a believer that if all is working, then just leave as is…

Sonos on WiFi Mesh