Answered

Getting Sonos to recognize and external drive on a Mac with files from a Windows PC

I have an external drive with songs from my windows PC.  I want to play these from Sonos S1 on a mac.  The mac recognises the files and itunes on the mac recognises and plays the songs,  But Sonos on the mac will not recognize the drive and update to the Sonos Library.

icon

Best answer by thisbrian 5 July 2020, 03:32

Thanks but it wont recognise the external drive and add it to the music library.  I manage to work around this by

• going into itunes where it does recognise the external drive.  I added the drive to the itunes library
  • then going back to sonos and just updating the music library.

This worked.

Thanks for your help.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @thisbrian, thanks for reaching out. Just wondering if you’ve checked the article about Adding and updating your music library. But you can check the steps below in adding your music library on your Mac.

1. From the “Manage” menu, select “Music Library Settings”.
  2. Click + (plus) on your Mac.
  3. If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, leave “In My Music folder” selected. If your music is located outside of the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
  4. Type in your computer's password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library it may take up to 15 minutes to index.

Please let us know if you still need anything. 

Thanks but it wont recognise the external drive and add it to the music library.  I manage to work around this by

• going into itunes where it does recognise the external drive.  I added the drive to the itunes library
  • then going back to sonos and just updating the music library.

This worked.

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Great that things are working fine now @thisbrian. Appreciate the effort and updating us here. Just let us know if you need anything.