Answered

Getting Dolby Atmos working with Sonos Arc, Google Chromecast with TV and HDFury Arcana

• 28 November 2020
  • 11 replies

Badge

Hi.

I’m excited to have bought my first ever Sonos product today. The Sonos Arc with the Sub.

It sounds awesome, but no surround and no Dolby Atmos.

Our TV has standard HDMI ARC but no eARC. So I’ve bought the HDFury Arcana.

I have our Google Chromecast with TV plugged into the input of the HDFury Arcana, and the eARC output of the Arcana plugged into the Sonos Arc. The HDMI out plugs into my TV.

I’ve tried a number of Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ titles, but it doesn’t seem to be Dolby Atmos. I assume it will display Dolby Atmos on the Sonos app on my phone. How can I tell?

And why can’t I get Dolby Atmos?
Are there any settings on the Arcana that I need to select? 
Have I plugged anything in incorrectly?
Is there a setting on the Chromecast, the Arc, the app or something else that I need to select?

At the very least I want to show the family (and myself) why Dolby Atmos sounds like. I played the Dolby Atmos demo on YouTube, but of course that didn’t play in Dolby Atmos, impressive though it was.

I’m getting quite frustrated. Can anyone help? 

icon

Best answer by Suzuki1200 25 December 2020, 13:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

I’m not convinced that I’m getting ATMOS, but I’m also not sure that my source is delivering ATMOS. As a minimum you should install the latest Arcana firmware. At this writing it is FW 0.79.

You can see the input type by displaying “About My System” on a SONOS controller.

Badge

I’m not convinced that I’m getting ATMOS, but I’m also not sure that my source is delivering ATMOS. As a minimum you should install the latest Arcana firmware. At this writing it is FW 0.79.

You can see the input type by displaying “About My System” on a SONOS controller.

Thanks. I haven't updated the firmware of the Arcana yet. I'm not sure how to do it but I'll check on the website tomorrow.

I seem to have the same issue. I had atmos when using Amazon prime on my bluray player but not on the chromecast. Any solutions?

I thought the recently released 'Chromecast with Google TV' was the first Chromecast to support Atmos.  Do you have one of those?

I could be wrong. 

I thought the recently released 'Chromecast with Google TV' was the first Chromecast to support Atmos.  Do you have one of those?

I could be wrong. 

Yes. I have the new chromecast with Google tv. 

Userlevel 7

Chromecast with Google TV currently only supports Dolby Atmos with Netflix and Prime Video.

Be sure you have a Netflix Premium subscription. You cannot get Atmos audio without it.

And Prime Video has VERY limited Atmos content. Try testing Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, or Suspiria.

Chromecast with Google TV currently only supports Dolby Atmos with Netflix and Prime Video.

Be sure you have a Netflix Premium subscription. You cannot get Atmos audio without it.

And Prime Video has VERY limited Atmos content. Try testing Jack Ryan, Carnival Row, or Suspiria.

I tested with prime. Jack Ryan played atmos over the app on my blu-ray player. With the chromecast only dd+5.1 remains.  No more atmos. 

Userlevel 7

I tested with prime. Jack Ryan played atmos over the app on my blu-ray player. With the chromecast only dd+5.1 remains.  No more atmos. 

Have you tried changing the audio settings in the Prime Video app while you are playing Jack Ryan? 

In the audio settings of the app I can only change the language ?  

I found a solution.  In the scaler settings on the arcana I had to choose explicitly for the setting the tv can handle instead of leaving it on auto (default). 

Hi, i think that the problem is the Chromecast. I currently have a Chromecast with google tv (latest edition) with a projector and a home theater system using a pioneer receiver. Tried all possible settings and could not ever get dolby sound from the chromecast. I was considering buying a Sonos Arc, but decided to read about it and chromecast. My son brought home a Fire Stick 4k from amazon, hooked it up, and BANG…. Dolby surround sound right away from most apps. Something i could never achieve with the chromecast. 

so there will be a used chromecast for sale, and i am getting a fire stick, sorry Sonos, but it is way cheaper then buying a new Arc.

Thanks

JJ