Get Play:1 and Bridge working with SonosNet

• 26 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I’ve had a Play:1 and Bridge for years. Always worked great using SonosNet. At some point in the last 1 - 2 years I switched to using WiFi instead, but I would now like to switch back to SonosNet, in a configuration where the Bridget is connected via ethernet and the Play:1 uses SonosNet. I’m using the S1 app.

I can not get this to work. I have reset the Play:1, the Bridge, and the android app multiple times. With a “fresh” setup I can add the the Bridge, but then I am unable to add the Play:1 (either using ethernet or wireless). Alternately, I can add the Play:1 to a fresh setup, but then I can’t add the Bridge.

Is there a description somewhere of the exact steps I should go through to get this working?

Here is info about the version of software and hardware that I am running, taken from the app when I’ve been successful in adding the individual devices.

Play:1
Version: 11.2.4 (build 57483220)
Hardware Version: 1.8.3.7-1.0
Series ID: A101

Bridge
Version 11.2.4 (build 57483220)
Hardware Version: 1.5.0.0-1.0
Series ID: X999

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

There isn’t a reason why this shouldn’t work, other than a potential issue with the BRIDGE, which at this point are known to occasionally run in to issues, particularly with flaky power supplies, which can cause all sorts of random issues, including those you’re suggesting.

So, a couple of suggestions. First, please stop resetting the devices, there’s no reason to reset them. This normally would have been as easy as plugging the BRIDGE in to your router, and then removing your WiFi data from the controller. 

Second, while the BRIDGE is showing in the controller, submit a system diagnostic and call Sonos Support to discuss it, or post the diagnostic number here for a Community Moderator to pick up.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. It might be as simple as replacing the power supply, or just replacing the entire unit with the newer, but still S1 compatible, BOOST.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

At this point BRIDGE should be retired. There are many, almost impossible to describe, issues caused by a failing BRIDGE power supply. Also, the wireless capability of BRIDGE is very stale. BOOST would be the replacement. If you can measure voltage, the BRIDGE power supply should measure slightly over 5V. Less than 5V, the intermittent fun begins.

Factory Reset during this type of drama is almost always a waste of time because it does not cure fundamental issues. Assuming that BRIDGE is functional, temporarily wire both units during setup. A better assumption would be that the BRIDGE power supply has failed until proven otherwise.

Edit: Airgetlam can type faster, but you get the idea.

Thank you for the advice. I submitted the diagnostic report. Confirmation number was 1177264460. I will contact support as well.