gen1 play 5 cannot connect to music provider Spotify

• 16 July 2021
  • 3 replies

ok have an old Gen 1 play 5  using S1 controller and 6 using S2 ( this functioning fine)

cannot get the S1 controller to play any music yet  controller shows it is  play 5 under system .

help?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’d do a couple of things. First, try unplugging the speaker from power. While it’s unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in that PLAY:5 Gen 1. Try opening the S1 controller, and see if it now shows up to play music on.

Second, if that doesn’t work, I’d wire that PLAY:5 gen 1 directly to the router with an ethernet cable, wait a couple of minutes, then open up the S1 controller and see if it’s showing up. Then I’d submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. The thing that *might* be happening here is a failure of the wifi system on the speaker, but a diagnostic would show that, if that’s the case. Either way, calling in is your best bet. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

awesome will try both of those thanks !

Oh, one more thing. Sorry, forgot the “Spotify” aspect. Using the S1 controller, as long as you can see the speaker, remove the Spotify service, then add it back in. 

Someone else will have to answer whether you should be able to see both S2 and S1 speakers in the Spotify controller, that’s not my area of expertise. But if you could, you wouldn’t be able to play on both S1 and S2 in sync anyway.