Question

Gapless playback

• 26 January 2017
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I am a little bit at a loss as to how to enable gapless playback of adjacent tracks. Mozart's Requiem, for instance, plays without gaps (not crossover) on all our devices except Sonos. Do I need to do something special to get this to work?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Sonos should play gapless. What format are your music files?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I thought it should. The files are Flac and Ogg. CDs are ripped with dbPowerAmp and digital downloads are mostly from Bowers & Wilkins, Linn and HD Tracks.
I can't see why you should have a problem, assuming there isn't any actual silence at the start or end of the track.

You mentioned "plays without gaps (not crossover)". If you actually have one track blending into the next then you've unwittingly enabled cross-fade.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Mmmh, the tracks are definitely without silence and they play back-to-back in Foobar2000, Squeezebox, our Sony mediacenter, in the car (of all places) and on my phone.

They don't overlap. What I meant to say was that I do distinguish between gapless and cross-fade 🙂.

If Sonos doesn't need any special tweaking to make this work there must be a problem elsewhere. I will investigate further. Thanks.
Not to state the obvious, but the tracks must be tagged as gapless. I'd check there first.
I've never tagged any FLAC or Ogg Vorbis files as such.
Whoops, my mistake. I was confusing lossy codecs with lossless, which are inherently gapless.

Could it be that the recordings themselves have a gap?
I have this same problem. My files are Apple Lossless. I shouldn't have to tag anything as "gapless," it should just play without gaps. It works fine on iTunes. This is ridiculous.
I take it back. On further investigation, it looks like some files play with an actual gap, some play gapless but with a millisecond of noise between songs, and some play totally gapless. So it might be the files after all.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have been through a couple of the recordings with Audacity to check but no, they don't have gaps. Concatenating two tracks is seamless. Also, the tracks all play correctly everywhere else, so I doubt there are problems in the files. Oh, and as you notice yourself, there is no gapless tag in the Ogg Vorbis header 😳 (and certainly not in Flac).

I tried turning off all units and cable just one (instead of a cabled Bridge and wireless from thereon) in hope that perhaps congestion or interference caused streaming latency but alas, it wasn't that.

I will venture on and let you know once I find the cause. I initially thought that I had done something wrong but if I did it doesn't appear to be something obvious. :?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I went back to the cabling vs. mesh issue and tried cabling all units. Prefectly gapless. Meshed with only the bridge cabled, fail. There are between 15 and 20 neighbouring APs; perhaps that is too much. Well - all is well that ends well. Thanks for your ideas. I appreciate that.
Wireless from the BRIDGE should not normally produce this kind of behaviour. BRIDGE power supplies do however have an age-related failure mode where their output voltage begins to flag. This can trigger various strange connectivity symptoms.

It would be interesting to test the BRIDGE PSU with a meter. A healthy unit should put out a steady 5.1-5.2V DC.
Userlevel 1
Badge
It would be interesting to test the BRIDGE PSU with a meter. A healthy unit should put out a steady 5.1-5.2V DC.
Interesting. I will try and measure it this weekend. It is from 2012.

On a note aside, it was actually quite nice to hear Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East with a coherent audience last night 🙂. But when I think about it, I don't think I ever have before on the Sonos. Mmh, no need to dwell.
On a note aside, it was actually quite nice to hear Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East with a coherent audience last night :-)
Never mind the audience. The segue from Whipping Post into Mountain Jam would be totally ruined by an audible gap. The drum intro to the latter starts a couple of seconds before the end of the preceding track.