Answered

Frustrating experience with Sonos | Apple TV | Samsung setup

Equipment:

•  Samsung UE55AU9000KXXU (2021)
  •  Apple TV 4K
  •  Sonos Beam (Gen2) + Sub (Gen3)

There seems to be a number of topics describing similar issues but no definitive answer. I’m presuming it’s a lack of standards support somewhere but it’s really frustrating and I’d love to know definitively which device is causing the issue.

The issue I’m having is I get intermittent audio from my Sonos with my setup. The easiest way I’ve found to recreate the issue is with Netflix although it happens with other streaming apps I use like Prime, Disney +, Plex. I can’t say I’ve ever seen it happen with YouTube or BBC iPlayer.

If you just scroll around in Netflix, when you leave it a couple seconds it starts playing the trailer for the selected show. Sometimes I get audio, sometimes not. I can scroll to the next show, get no audio, scroll on, get audio, scroll back and get audio on the show trailer I had none on a few seconds ago. This just repeats, it seems totally random wether you get audio or not.  The same thing happens when watching a show, generally I have to restart the stream a couple times before I get any audio, sometimes I get audio the first time. It even happens when pausing a show, restart and sometimes there’s no audio, this is generally if it has been on pause a few minutes rather than just pressing pause and playing again straight away.

The issue is starting to grate a little now.  I can get a consistent audio stream if I don’t want Atmos enabled by changing things in the TV settings or the Apple TV. The Sonos doesn’t seem to have anything I can change that affects the issue. But then I might as well go back to my old Bose setup via optical if I want that.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 June 2022, 17:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

In some of the other threads that you appear to refer to in your post, it is suggested by Staff to take a system diagnostic report within 10 minutes of the issue being encountered and note it’s reference and then contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff via this LINK

So I would perhaps follow that suggestion and see if the root cause can be established.

HTH 

Userlevel 7

@DanSuggestAUsername Samsung TVs with eARC are known to have issues with Sonos and other sound bars.

Are you using the Sonos-supplied HDMI cable with the Arc? Do you experience the same problem when using the TV’s native apps?

This is not an ideal solution, but you might consider disabling eARC on the TV to see if it makes a difference. Also, you should try disabling the autoplay previews setting in your Netflix settings. Log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and look under your Profile settings for “Playback Settings”. Disable “Autoplay preview while browsing on all devices”. Go ahead and set “Data usage per screen” to High too.