Answered

Frustrating Experience Trying to Connect to New Wifi Network

So yesterday I spent approximately 1 ½ hours attempting to move my Sonos Amp from the wifi network that it is currently on to a new one. For reference, the new network that I want to connect to is an Eero mesh which provides a much stronger signal to the location where the Amp is located.

Naively, I thought that switching would be a simple case of opening the S1 app on my Iphone, specifying the SSID for the new network and entering the network password. I must have tried the documented procedure more than 20 times, always ending up with the “Something went wrong!” message. I even tried connecting the Amp directly to my router via ethernet while running the setup procedure - still no success.

Can anyone provide insight into what I need to do to be able to connect the Amp to the new network? I managed, maybe 3 or 4 times, to get to a point where the S1 app asked for the credentials (network name/password) for the new network however for some reason the Amp was never able to connect. I did check that a friends phone was able to successfully connect to the new network using the same credentials that I gave to the S1 app.

It’s kind of crazy that what should be a simple thing proves to be so difficult and frustrating!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 June 2022, 20:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Texangeek 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Sorry to hear you had such trouble - it sounds like you went about it in the right way. Full instructions can be found on our Connect Sonos to a new router or Wi-Fi network help page - if those steps don’t work, I recommend a reboot of your Eero main node and of your phone.

If that doesn’t help, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Yeah, I essentially followed the instructions that are provided on the website for changing the network.

I’ll try rebooting both routers and the phone when I have an opportune moment.

Yeah, I essentially followed the instructions that are provided on the website for changing the network.

I’ll try rebooting both routers and the phone when I have an opportune moment.

Both routers🤔? - are you using double NAT? Have you maybe wired your Sonos product (Connect) to the one network subnet and perhaps have your controller device on the other wireless subnet?

Maybe ‘bridge’ your eero mesh to your router, or vice-versa, whichever network-setup suits your needs. Then take it from there with the device wired to your chosen router… you may perhaps also find the information helpful in this community thread too:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/troubleshooting-sonos-on-wifi-6856334?postid=16520976#post16520976

Thanks for the feedback. 

The networks aren’t actually mine, providing some IT support to a less savvy friend. But yes, current configuration is Double NAT - Verizon Xfinity  gateway connected via ethernet to the primary Eero node. Sounds to me like I should recommend that we bridge the gateway and allow the Eero to do all the routing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Texangeek 

Sounds like a plan! Remember that if the Verizon device is bridged, you shouldn’t connect anything other than the main Eero mode to it - anything else would be exposed to the internet without protection.