Forced Updates Lawsuit

In case anyone is having the same trouble:

I have been a Sonos user since 2006. In the beginning, the system worked flawlessly, but since about 2011 Sonos has had an aggressive mandatory update policy, even to the point of making older equipment obsolete.
The last update rendered my 2 systems inoperable and Sonos has been unwilling to get serious about fixing it.
Anyhow, I had to file a lawsuit (small claims) against them to finally get their attention, and they STILL refuse to troubleshoot anything on their end. Here is a brief summary of what lead up to the suit:

I called, I emailed, I wrote them a certified letter, and was ignored, I posted on their Facebook, got a reply and was ignored. I filed suit and they finally contacted me. The person from their legal dept was completely unaware of the obsolescence issue and thought my email was the problem. (even though we were communicating via email)
I contacted them again thru email.
After the second email and FOUR months after I wrote Sonos, their legal department finally "spoke to a supervisor from Customer Care division about this issue". They have never said they can fix the problem, the only thing they have offered is to transfer me to tech support.

Now, instead of settling and fixing my system, they are going to fight the lawsuit. They did offer to refund my entire system, perhaps they are aware of an issue with certain updates that they cannot repair.

In closing, for those of you that think this should not have happened, I agree. If you got in your 8-year-old car to go somewhere and found the manufacturer sent out an update that you had to install before you could start your car. After the update, and being late to your appointment, your car is unusable or obsolete, and the update cannot be rolled back. The manufacturer is unwilling to repair the issue and their forum is loaded with the same complaints. What would you do?

16 replies

But actually users have the option not to upgrade and several chose to go down that route.

Turn off automatic updates in Settings. Turn off auto updates in the relevant app store. How does this constitute 'mandatory forced updates'?
[...] What would you do?
I'd see to sort my networking problems out. That's most certainly what you are experiencing.
You’re wasting everyone’s time, just sort out your network issues, Sonos will then work great, as it does for everyone with sorted WiFi networking.
There is much here that doesn't quite ring true. User since 2006 but joined today? Sonos' alleged response to what are clearly network issues goes against all my wxperience of Sonos. Don't believe they would offer to 'refund entire system' either. And you cannot 'file a lawsuit' in a small claims court. They are for simple cases of demonstrable small financial loss. There is less here than meets the eye, I suspect.
Badge +5
This thread reeks of attention-seeking. Network problems rectify 90% (or more) of the issues users often experience.

Willing to bet your network is unstable. Are you willing to admit as much?

Legalities should never have come into play. Feels like a complete overreaction. There's plenty of help available if you're willing to receive it.
But actually users have the option not to upgrade and several chose to go down that route.

Turn off automatic updates in Settings. Turn off auto updates in the relevant app store. How does this constitute 'mandatory forced updates'?

There is much here that doesn't quite ring true. User since 2006 but joined today?

These two posts are related. He may have joined based on information he got when calling them. He may not have been aware of the forum. In his defense, outside of this forum, Sonos has done nothing to let non-forum members know about the planned obsolescence if they update and what to do to combat it.

Sonos' alleged response to what are clearly network issues goes against all my wxperience of Sonos. Don't believe they would offer to 'refund entire system' either. And you cannot 'file a lawsuit' in a small claims court. They are for simple cases of demonstrable small financial loss. There is less here than meets the eye, I suspect.

Not sure how an update killing off the CR100 or rendering older iDevices useless for Sonos control has to do with networking.
Badge

Not sure how an update killing off the CR100 or rendering older iDevices useless for Sonos control has to do with networking.

Indeed :?

I would also like to hear more details on how to get a refund on an entire Sonos system, which seems like a good solution if true. After all, that would put the OP back in the position they would have been in had they not purchased any Sonos equipment (assuming interest on the purchase price(s) is about equal to the value given of using the system up to being "bricked").
The OP is complaining about updates thst, in his view, caused his whole system to become inoperable. Obsolescence isn't the main point
He just says that Sonos will force updates 'even to the point of obsolescence.

Whenever someone comes on here complaining that 'the update broke my system ' it turns out to be a networking issue.

Resd the post. Don't project your own CR100 obsession onto it.
...even to the point of making older equipment obsolete.
The last update rendered my 2 systems inoperable and Sonos has been unwilling to get serious about fixing it.

John you and I are reading this two different ways. I’m seeing it as the user is stating his iDevices no longer work because the update requires later iOS updates that he can’t load. I’m basing this assumption on previous threads about the subject. The OP will need to clarify.
I would also like to hear more details on how to get a refund on an entire Sonos system, which seems like a good solution if true. After all, that would put the OP back in the position they would have been in had they not purchased any Sonos equipment (assuming interest on the purchase price(s) is about equal to the value given of using the system up to being "bricked").
Unbelievable that Sonos is ever going to buy back equipment purchased in 2006 (almost 13 years ago that is!).

Indeed :?

Dream on.
Badge
I would also like to hear more details on how to get a refund on an entire Sonos system, which seems like a good solution if true. ...").
Unbelievable that Sonos is ever going to buy back equipment purchased in 2006 (almost 13 years ago that is!).

Indeed! :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@TJRL, why did you create a second account?
Badge
@TJRL, why did you create a second account?

Because I have been unable to log onto my original one for a while now. Sonos support are on the case, but in the meantime this account allows me to log on.
I would also like to hear more details on how to get a refund on an entire Sonos system, which seems like a good solution if true. ...").

Indeed! :8
Well at least we are all agreed that this sounds mighty implausible. One could only guess at how much of the rest is fictional.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Define inoperable.

Have you tried another device as a controller? Specifically one that meets the minimum system requirements?