Answered

Flaky iOS app last weeks to system of four Play:1s ... factory reset & New System = can't complete install

• 18 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I have used four Play:1 in my home for three years using both iOS devices and the Windows app to control them.  No trouble with anything, even the first releases of the S2 app, until a few weeks ago … 

The iOS app began to not always see my Play:1’s when initialized … usually closing and restarting the app solved the problem.  This was tested using both up-to-date iPhone iOS’s (14.3), iPad iOS’s AND outdated iOS 12.4 on an old iPad Mini 2.

Next, the Spotify app started to not be able to see the Play:1’s (controlling them independently of the Sonos app). 

NOTE: in all this time, my other multicast or network music devices (including Bluesound, Apple TV and Google Play) have had no connectivity issues whatsoever.

This weekend, I decided to factory reset all four Play:1’s (green blinking light), ‘forget’ them on my network router, and delete/reinstall the Sonos S2 app on all devices, in an attempt to get things working properly again.

RESULT:  I can’t get past either the ‘temporary Sonos network’ part of the iOS Sonos S2 setup when attempting to connect them wirelessly OR, if using a wired connection, get past the ‘orange blinking light’.  Installation stalls no matter which unit I try as the first Play:1 to set up a new system.

NOTE AGAIN:  EVERYTHING OTHER music or video device on my home network, or device accessing either internet streaming or my home server multimedia, has worked without any issue.  Please don’t do the TL/DR goon squad answer and ask about basic network or wireless protocol troubleshooting.

I appear to be not alone with this problem, however this user forum is very disorganized and it is impossible to get a clear idea if Sonos engineers have acknowledged and/or given advice about this problem.

Thanks in advance for any useful or pertinent information that you provide.

Best wishes -

ianbtv

Williston, VT  USA 

icon

Best answer by Rowena B. 20 January 2021, 21:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ian_btv

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and for providing us a detailed post describing your concern. We appreciate all your effort in resolving the issue. Let me help you out with this.

After you factory reset all your four Play 1's, did they all stay with the orange blinking light?
While your Play 1 is wired to your router, is the light still blinking orange light?

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you to complete the setup.

1. Please factory reset one of your Sonos Play 1's. Make sure that it's giving you a flashing green light. It means it's ready to be setup.
  2. Hardwire your Play 1 to your router using an ethernet cable.
  3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS device.
  4. Open the Sonos app and select "Set up a new system"
  5. Follow the steps instructed in the Sonos app to complete the setup.
  6. Once the setup is complete and you can see the Play 1 in the Sonos app, please do not remove the ethernet cable yet and proceed to the next step.
  7. Factory reset your other Play 1 and add it to your system.
  8. Please do the same to your other Play 1's until you have completed adding them to your Sonos system.
  9. Perform wireless setup
    • On the Sonos app, please go to Settings > System > Network > Wireless Setup.
    • You will see your WiFi network name on the list. Select it and enter your WiFi password.
    • Once completed, you can already remove the ethernet cable.

If you're still having the same issue after performing the steps and the orange blinking light is persistent to all your Play 1’s, I recommend contacting our phone support team with your full network set up to look up the information and perform in-depth troubleshooting to help you complete your Sonos setup.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we’ll be glad to assist you. 

Hi Rowena -

Thank you for your reply.

This method works.

I do hope that any future builds will note this as a required, or suggested, technique in the course of the setup.  This is the first time that such an issue has presented itself … the setup via iOS, when following the prompts, has worked properly for years.  I’d suggest better coordination between your coders and tech writers.  Someone dropped the ball, and you now have a lot of frustrated customers (and keenly-observing competitors, for sure).

To all - please note:

1. I had tried the method of starting a new system with the first unit wired to ethernet, but then immediately disconnected the first unit and attached it to wireless >before< setting up the additional players.  Thus, consider the use of WiFi and not SonosNet when adding additional players to be broken (for now).
  2. I set up a friend’s new system the first week of November using a purely wireless technique for all units without any difficulty.  Something obviously is broken in the latest S2 build(s).
  3. The latest iOS S2 app is advertised as verion 12.2.3, however my system shows 12.2.2 on all players after install.  Something has been manually rolled back (and forth?).

Thanks -

ianbtv 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ian_btv

Thanks for your response and for updating us. I'm glad that your Sonos system is now working again.  We really appreciate you for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us. Please continue to monitor your Sonos devices, in case you encounter any issues with your system, please don't factory reset your Sonos speakers for us to check what is causing the issue and to isolate the problem. Please reach back to us and submit a diagnostic report for us to investigate.

If you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Hi Rowena -

An update … SonosNet is the only stable configuration that works (one speaker kept connected by ethernet).  If I try to switch to WiFi (after configuring the individual players with SonosNet, as you direct above), it works as long as the S2 iOS app is kept open.  If it is closed and reopened, however, the app can’t reconnect with the (existing) system.  The only choice then is to start over and set up a new system. 

All the other 2G WiFi devices on my network function properly.  I monitor my RF environment closely and would be aware of interference from neighboring access points and/or individual channels.  No such condition exists, either new, sporadic or ongoing.

I have no issue (for the moment) using SonosNet, but some users may well not have the option to keep at least one Sonos receiver/speaker connected via ethernet.

Again, the S2 app had no issue related to a WiFi-only Sonos network up until a few weeks ago.  Something in your code is broken.

I have attached screenshots of my Sonos system info to this message for your coders to review.

Looking forward to an updated app which fixes this in the near future.

Best wishes -

Ian