FLAC playback problem

Userlevel 2
Badge
Some FLAC files often stops playing on my CONNECT: AMP in the middle of the song. When retrying, the same thing often happen again, playback is interrupted at the same position stating a problem to read the file (I guess via CIFS). Some days (like today) playback is not disturbed, but its a matter of time before next FLAC file stops playing. MP3 playback is flawless (but not lossless 🙂 ). All "evidence" I find point to a FLAC playback problem in the Sonos firmware: 1. The FLAC files are hosted on my NetGear NAS on a gigabit network. 2. The CONNECT:AMP is connected to the NAS via an unmanaged NetGear gigabit switch using less than 15 meters of Cat 5e Ethernet cable. 3. I tested to connect a PC to the secondary port of the CONNECT: AMP - download of the same FLAC files to the PC is flawless (limited to 100 Mbit/s by the Sonos NIC). The secondary port is normally not connected. Playback during the file transfer test was also smooth. 4. There are no records of transmission problems on the NAS's NIC. 5. The problem remain after splitting up the group (normally the AMP is joined by a PLAY:5 over Sonos own WiFi). 6. All Sonos unit's on my Net are at lastest revision available --------------------------------- CONNECT:AMP: Vardagsrum Serienummer: 00-0E-58-39-6D-8C:3 Version: 5.2 (build 28183040) Maskinvaruversion: 1.16.3.1-2 IP-adress: 192.168.1.110 WM: 0 OTP: 1.1.1(1-16-3-0.9) --------------------------------- Please help me resolve this problem with FLAC playback. I can make the FLAC files available on request. /Stefan

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
We'll need to take a closer look at this, are you able to call us? Before you do, send a diagnostic from the app and note the confirmation number as we'll need that when/if you phone in. We also recommend that you have a computer available in case we need to remote assist.
Userlevel 2
Badge
We'll need to take a closer look at this, are you able to call us? Before you do, send a diagnostic from the app and note the confirmation number as we'll need that when/if you phone in. We also recommend that you have a computer available in case we need to remote assist.
Hi and thanks for feedback, I haven't been playing FLAC files in a while so I have started to try to make a reproduction (the problem is not there 100% of the time - I'm now on the second round of the album I had problems with a while ago... still playing just fine...). Calling in might be a problem since I'm at my work most of the opening hours the support phone line is open... I will start off with getting a repro and submit a diagnostic!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Stefan,

does this occur when playing back "highres" FLAC files?

You might want to verify the sample rates on those files that beginning skipped and check if they are outside the specs listed on the link below.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80/~/supported-audio-formats 

A related, and interesting discussion is going on here:
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/support_high_resolution_flac_files_purchased_from_hdtracks_com

Hope this helps
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Bernhard I was under the impression Sonos only support low res 16 bit 44 kHz FLAC. The album I have most problems I ripped myself from. CD using EAC. No problems (EAC reported 100% match with some internet DB of checksums). This album often plays well on my Sonos unit's, but can from time to time stop play at a few locations, only observered on my Play:5
Userlevel 2
Badge
sorry Connect:AMP
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
As it only happens with one file i suggest to use a tool like Mediainfo to verify the file encoding. http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

Also, since it only impacts the Connect:AMP an IP address issue or maybe wireless interference could play in as well. Do you have a Boost/Bridge where the Connect:AMP connects to, or is the unit wired through ethernet to your router?
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Bernhard Will check the encoding - thanks for the SW tip! 🙂 Regarding issues with the network I think I've ruled out the most common problems (please see my original problem description). No wi-fi. Static IP. Bandwith test made THROUGH Connect:AMP to same NAS hostig the FLAC files while playing w/o problems return close to 100 Mbit/s.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
How did it go Stefan? Let us know if you need any help.
Thank you for your inquiry. From being a fairly easy problem to reproduce it has recently not been possible to get a repro. I've played the suspected album at least ten times without a problem. I have not tested the FLAC file as suggested by another response on the thread yet either. I will have a go at it again the following weekend. /Stefan
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Sounds good, looking forward to hearing from you.
I have now played the troublesome album a few more times without noticing any interruptions at all. As I seem to have trouble getting a reproduction to submit diagnostics from I believe we should close or at least put this case on hold. Lets pick this topic up when/if I get the problem again. Thank you all for assistance and hints. /Stefan