Question

Flac indexing does not work properly (but mp3 does)

• 8 November 2016
  • 17 replies

Flac files are only indexed with casesensitive.

How to reproduce :
Assume file in flac format with title "The Flac Song".
Assume file in mp3 format with title "The Mp3 Song".

1. Search for "song" in android sonos app.
"The Flac Song" is not shown in results. "The Mp3 Song" appears in results.

2. Search for "The Flac" in app.
Now "The Flac Song" does appear in results. Album art, artist, title, everything looks ok.
Case is important, as well as the starting point of the search string.

3. Search for "song" again.
Now both mp3 and flac titles appear in results!

The next day the problem returns, because of re-indexing perhaps.

What is going on here?!?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Search is case-insensitive. It doesn't matter whether the original file is FLAC, MP3, or whatever. The metadata is extracted into the library index come what may.

There's something else going on in your case, and you don't appear to have consistent behaviour anyway.
But it is consistent. I can reproduce over and over again.

And it's only song title that appear to be case sensitive. Album and Artist isn't.

I'm sure there is something fishy in my setup, that is why I'm reaching out for ideas to resolve it.
Your reply isn't helpful at all.
But it is consistent. I can reproduce over and over again.

And it's only song title that appear to be case sensitive. Album and Artist isn't.

I'm sure there is something fishy in my setup, that is why I'm reaching out for ideas to resolve it.
Your reply isn't helpful at all.

Then you should raise a call with Sonos support, we aren't going to be able to help you with the limited information you've provided.
How can I expand on information then?

I thought I did a good job writing down a procedure to reproduce. What is missing? Dump tags from flac files or what?
you did a good job, but I/we can't replicate it. Search works with my FLAC files case insensitively, and is successful with non-leading substrings. Including against song title.

You should raise a support ticket with Sonos. They will ask for what they need from you.
Roger that. I will be back here with info, when I have some to share.
That's kind of the point, there's nothing more you can say and the issue is NOT repeatable for anyone else (a lot of people won't be mixing formats in their local library for a start), you need to submit a diagnostic for Sonos support to review, us ordinary users can't view them.

On a more general point us users here aren't getting paid for the help we try to offer here, we do it because we love the system and want people to get the same enjoyment we do, so it would be nice if we weren't told we're wasting everyone's time just because we can't fix an issue with the first response.
It was "ratty" that dismissed my problem right away without offering any hints. And you ("The LHC") are dismissive as well.

I NEVER wrote that you were wasting anyones time, you are attributing words to me that isn't there.
I wonder why you reply with no intention to engage in resolving my issue.

"BarryM" had an insight to searching flacs, and wasn't dismissive. Thanks for that.
I wasn't dismissive. My point about inconsistency was that your search for "song" yielded different results at various times. I tried hard every which way to reproduce and was unsuccessful (as expected, I've been using the system for 9 years).

If you want, go to http://player_IP_address:1400/status/tracks and dump the index for inspection. Otherwise Sonos Support is your best bet.
It was "ratty" that dismissed my problem right away without offering any hints. And you ("The LHC") are dismissive as well.

I NEVER wrote that you were wasting anyones time, you are attributing words to me that isn't there.
I wonder why you reply with no intention to engage in resolving my issue.

You as much as told ratty that he shouldn't have bothered replying. He's arguably the most experienced member of the forum, if he can't help your only option is Sonos support.

"BarryM" had an insight to searching flacs, and wasn't dismissive. Thanks for that.

He said he couldn't replicate the problem, that's what ratty said, that's what I said, you've learned no more from him than you have anyone else. Either way it's damn rude to talk like that to people who are trying to help you.

Further more, I wasn't dismissing you either, I was advising you that Sonos support are likely to be the only people able to help you and that's still the case.
Well, "ratty" seems to understand why I misinterpreted the "not consistent" bit as dismissive, and cleared up what he really meant.
I get it now "ratty", I will investigate the index. Will take some time.

"BarryM" was constructive in a positive manner from the beginning.

Why don't you get into the constructive dialogue "The LHC". When you first criticised me, I asked for info on where I went wrong. You reacted by thrashing me again. Perhaps think about your own ways before coming after others.
Further more, I wasn't dismissing you either, I was advising you that Sonos support are likely to be the only people able to help you and that's still the case.

Yes but in that ever-eloquent way you have:

Then you should raise a call with Sonos support, we aren't going to be able to help you with the limited information you've provided.

There have been threads about your attitude and over-bearing demeanor. You even attacked me last week over a simple question I had over the next version number based on MY experience as a programmer. As if the board software isn't bad enough to turn away users with legitimate questions, you add to the negative flavor by shooting them down further when they do decide to post.
Well, "ratty" seems to understand why I misinterpreted the "not consistent" bit as dismissive, and cleared up what he really meant.
I get it now "ratty", I will investigate the index. Will take some time.

"BarryM" was constructive in a positive manner from the beginning.

Why don't you get into the constructive dialogue "The LHC". When you first criticised me,

Well that's the crux of it isn't it, I didn't criticize you, I made a simple statement of fact, we can't help you with this issue, you'd best call Sonos support. That's it, that's all I said.

I asked for info on where I went wrong. You reacted by thrashing me again.

Again no, I "reacted" (or replied, to be more accurate) by telling you there actually wasn't anything more you could have done, which is why I advised, again, to speak to Sonos support. I don't know how you get criticism or negativity from that, it's just a blank statement of fact.

Yes but in that ever-eloquent way you have:

There have been threads about your attitude and over-bearing demeanor. You even attacked me last week over a simple question I had over the next version number based on MY experience as a programmer.

And I was far from the only person to do that.
Sidenote to "The LHC" : I'm sure you mean well, but it doesn't come out well when you write. You have a way about it, that pushes the wrong buttons.

And back to the topic :

I discovered the reason for my problem.

A long time ago I used Itunes. All the albums was moved to Sonos from Itunes.

Then I started flac'ed albums. Removed the album from the itunes directory. If I missed it, the album turned up twice in sonos, easy to mend.

I kept some itunes files, *because itunes have better handling of compilations* for some reason.

The flac in question is not a compilation ("The Asteroids Galaxy Tour" - "Fruit"), but I now found it as m4a files under itunes/compilations! It didn't turn up doubly in sonos searches. Found about 50 albums wrongly categorized as compilation by itunes long ago. What a mess.
It didn't turn up doubly in sonos searches.
It wouldn't. Where two (or more) tracks have identical tags Sonos will only index the first it encounters during the library scan, and ignore the rest. One cannot predict with certainty which of the files Sonos will choose.
I kept some itunes files, *because itunes have better handling of compilations* for some reason.
I don't know whether it is better, maybe just different.

AFAIK Sonos doesn't (or didn't used to) recognise the compilation tag in FLAC files. If that is still the case, using the tagging standard derived from iTunes is more restrictive, ie. does handle FLAC files.

The alternate way to handle composite albums is to configure your Sonos as GroupAlbumsUsing=AlbumArtist at Settings|MusicLibrary|Advanced.
And to give all the tracks in a composite album a grouping name such as "Various Artists" ... or "Various Artists - Jazz".