Question

Feedback with Playbar and Sonos Connect ZP90

• 4 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge
I have a Playbar connected to a Connect ZP90. A brand new U-Turn record player is connected to the line in via RCA cables. When playing sound on the line-in feature in the app, there is noticeable feedback from the Playbar at mid volumes and significant feedback at volumes 70% and up. Is any feedback expected with through Connect line-in? Are there things that I can try / test to help pinpoint where the source of the feedback might be?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a Playbar connected to a Connect ZP90
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? How are they connected? If you're running the optical out from the CONNECT into the PLAYBAR, you do not need to do this.
Badge
The full setup is:

TV
Playbar
Connect
U-Turn Record Player

TV and Playbar connected via optical cable
Playbar and Connect connected over the Sonos network
Connect and U-Turn connected via RCA cables.

Sound from the TV is crystal clear with no feedback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Ok, thanks ... you're original description made it sound potentially suspect.

No, you shouldn't experience feedback as a consequence of anything being played via the CONNECT's Line-In. Is it possible that this is simply the turntable picking up direct acoustic feedback from the PLAYBAR? I.e., the sound from the PLAYBAR is causing mechanical vibration in the turntable, that is then being fed back as audio.

Also check what the 'Line-In Source Level' is set to, for the CONNECT.
Badge
The turntable is on a completely separate surface, so I assumed it is not picking up any vibrations. I have toyed around with different 'Line-In Source Level' values, ranging from 6-10. Lower levels have less feedback, but less volume on the record, so I need to increase volume, which in turn just adds more feedback.

If I try different devices through the connect, and notice no feedback, is it safe to say the feedback is a result of the record player?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If I try different devices through the connect, and notice no feedback, is it safe to say the feedback is a result of the record player?
I'd say so -- that's what I'd try. Can you describe the nature of the feedback? Is it the sort of sound one gets if a microphone is used too close to a speaker?
Badge
It is not like microphone feedback no. It's 100% consistent and more of a humming. Maybe feedback isn't the correct terminology, but I don't know what else to call it.

Any recommendations on what to try out with the connect?
See a similar issue on the thread here: https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonos-with-a-turntable-sound-quality-vs-fully-analog-6803517
As I recall the issue has not been solved, and there is also another thread referred to in the one above. But you might get some insights that are useful.
More insights in this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-connect-causing-ground-loop-buzz-6802139