Feedback and buzzing/whine.

• 22 March 2021
  • 8 replies

I’m getting feedback/whine from my system whenever I play my music. I have a Reloop Turn 3 with built in PreAmp. I am connected by an RCA- Y cable to a  Sonos 5 G2 and a Sonos 1 via wifi. The feedback occurs even on the Sonos 1 in a separate room. It’s not a constant whine but intermittent.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Deathwalker, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you experiencing the feedback with all music sources, or only when playing from the Reloop Turn 3?

If it only occurs when playing from the Reloop, it may be worth double checking the connections, and if applicable , the grounding.

If the feedback occurs with all music sources, I’d be interested to see if it persists with the Reloop & Preamp disconnected - let us know how you get on!

Thanks for the reply. The feedback is only occuring with the turntable. I’ve checked another device and also streaming music and neither had a problem.

The turntable has a built in PreAmp so I don’t think it can be the grounding. 

It’s very annoying as it means the turntable is virtually unuseable with the whine all the time in the background.

Userlevel 7

Check all the connections on your turntable and check that the preamp switch is switched to ON.

Also, be sure the turntable isn’t too close to the Play:5 where the speaker could cause vibrations, and move any other electronic devices away from the turntable.

I’ve checked the connections- red and white audio channels(left and right). The PreAmp is swtiched on and I’ve tried locating them a couple of metres apart on separate tables/desks. None of it has had any effect. 

Userlevel 7

Does adjusting the Source Level under the Line-In settings for the Play:5 make any difference? Or changing the Audio Compression settings in the Sonos app?

No I’ve tried the Compress/ Uncompressed and Automatic. I’ve also fiddled with each Source Level. The lower levels mean that the feedback is slightly quieter because it means that the playback is quieter. Otherwise it has no effect. 

Userlevel 7

How long have you had the turntable? It could be defective.

One more thing to check… be sure the 3.5 mm plug is fully inserted into the line-in port of the Play:5. You could also try using a different RCA to 3.5 mm cable.

It’s a new turntable and the speakers are also brand new. I’ll buy a new cable and see how that goes. 

Thanks for the assist.