Feature Request: Mass Reboot Signal

• 28 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Sounds odd but I was reviewing the troubleshooting playlist. One of the items is to reboot all units. With almost 20 different Sonos products in my house I laughed in that their would be no way I would do that. So I am wondering if it’s possible to develop a feature that’s like a mass reboot or specific reboot signal that could just happen from the app. Just a thought. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

At one point there was an IP command to do this, but it has been removed. Many of us regret this.

However, if the unit is not currently visible on the network, this sort of command would be virtually useless.

It seems excessive, but it may be worth installing a WEMO type power switch for difficult to access units.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I so hate having to reboot my 15 Sonos. Remote switches help on some, in-line switches on others while a few are still in pull-the-plug mode.

When the old reboot option was available it would often still be usable from the web browser when the Sonos devices were ignoring the controller.

in-line https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01894YMX4/?coliid=IODSPU9T3GOSO&colid=BTENZ0UERRC9&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

remotehttps://smile.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-Control-Extension-15-Foot/dp/B00004SQHV/ref=sr_1_7

I’ve not needed to do a reboot of my speakers since assigning them reserved IP addresses in my router’s DHCP table. 

That being said, while I unsurprisingly agree with buzz about the limited use, it is a feature I would support….which is odd, since I really don’t need it anymore. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My router died and a replacement model was far more than I wanted to spend so I bought one with lesser capabilities and had to renumber my multiple LANs into a single LAN and it was most frustrating.

As I’m a horrible data-entry person so I went with just connecting everything to the new router, let everything find it and get a new DHCP pool IP address as a starter. Then I went through the DHCP leases shown by the router, ones that were pretty random and added a static IP for each device, clustering like devices together to make remembering the IPs easier.

My “brilliant” plan was to then walk away and let the DHCP server which was set to a short lease lifetime, reissue IPs as needed to get everything up on the new network. It didn’t happen…

Since I had time I messed about using the “find” options in the controller and rebooting individual Sonos in hopes all would start working as expected. I could get stuff going but then a couple hours later it or another Sonos would go missing again. Couple cycles through the situation pretty much proved the old IP problems still existed for me.

Unplugged or switched off all my Sonos, shut down my controllers and rebooted the router. Powered up a “wired to Ethernet” Sonos and let it wake up, fired off a controller and all was working. Added the rest of my Sonos one at a time until all were happy.

One thing I’d recommend is to power up all your primary Sonos devices first and only once they are happy go back and do Subs and Surrounds. It may have just been a glitch here but powering on the surrounds too soon after the base device seemed to cause a bit of a connection problem that a second power cycle for the Sub and Surrounds seemed to clear up.

Bringing this back on topic - Being able to open a web page to each Sonos and reboot all from there may have been less effort than the mass un and re plugging. But it might have also caused the issues I saw when powering on the Sub and Surrounds too quickly.