Answered

Extreme audio skipping / cutoff when using line in on a Port (from optical on TV)

• 6 December 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi!

Sitting here with a brand new Port connected to a Samsung QLED TV via optical out → DAC → RCA in to the Port. Output is 2x Beolab 8000 active speakers.

I am struggling with extreme skipping / cutoff when playing on line in. Feeling I’ve tried a lot such as;

• Changed compression setting
  • Changed line in setting (1-10)
  • Deactivated wifi on Port and using Ethernet
  • Changed from wifi to SonosNet and back
  • Changed 2,4GHz channel on wifi to a different channel than SonosNet
  • Changed all channels on SonosNet (1,6,11)
  • Probably a lot more 

It is a constant thing, every other second the sound is skipping/lagging. Some magical moments lasting a few minutes every hour where there are no skipping.

Using AirPlay from iOS is perfectly fine, however.

I have submitted a diagnostic, #2024397244.

Wishing for a quick response, if not I am returning it..:/

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 December 2019, 17:47

If you’re looking for a quick response, posting in a community forum is not likely to be the best choice. You should contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you’re looking for a quick response, posting in a community forum is not likely to be the best choice. You should contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

Ah, I thought this was the main place to go for, also reaching out to Sonos support team themselves. I'll follow your suggestion then!

Heh. This forum is a place for kibitzers like me (is that the right spelling?) to offer suggestions, so that Sonos Support isn’t flooded with simple “how do I play music” style requests. Or so I believe. :)

That being said, I’d be willing to bet the cadre of folks who respond here, from the Community Moderators when they have time, to many other non-Sonos employees, may have a deeper understanding of most issues than some of the folks on the Support options. We just don’t get access to the diagnostic data, so we’re guessing a lot of the time, based on previous experience. Sometimes, diagnosing an audio issue via text is a bit complex!

For instance, if I were to do a quick analysis of your setup, based on your post, I’d suggest that you’ve got a flooding of the line-in, due to the non-standard setup you’ve got. Rather than using a normal Sonos home theater device, you’re pushing to an audio device, the Port. Then you’re pushing a larger than average (video audio is much more dense than standard music, oddly) through the line-in and sending that to active speakers. While I understand the desire to keep those speakers, I suspect you’re taxing the bandwidth available on the line in, and it’s having trouble keeping up with the data from the TV. And I suspect that the flooding occurs before the compression does, so changing the compression wouldn’t help, unless you were then sending it out via SonosNet or wifi to other speakers. 

I’m wondering if there’s a reason why you’re actually pushing this through the Sonos at all. Wouldn’t it make more sense to connect those speakers directly to the TV output?  Ah… you’re using them also for music, aren’t you. Damn. Thought I had a solution there. But I’d be willing to bet that if you took the audio output from the DAC and connected it directly to the speakers, you’d have sound that didn’t have an issue. 

If it were me, I’d invest in a Sonos soundbar, and leave the Beolab’s to function only as music speakers. But that's an additional investment. Probably not the solution you’re looking for.

And, I could be completely wrong about this assumption, too. I’d be interested in what Sonos says, when you contact them.