Question

Extending Sonos wireless range

• 6 February 2017
  • 3 replies

Hi Guys,
I have a Sonos Playbar in a living room connected to a switch. I then have a long hallway in a flat and a bedroom where wireless is not good. I have a Devolo wireless extender which uses Powerline, and I used to connect a pair of Play: 3 speakers in stereo mode to the 2 Ethernet jacks of the Devolo. Recently I have had issues trying to stream the audio from the TV on the Playbar to the bedroom. I went to the diagnostic web page on the Sonos devices and the problem at the moment is poor connectivity between the Playbar and the Play speakers. My question is if I purchased a boost, could I put the boost in a room between the bedroom and the lounge but there would be no Ethernet there (i.e., it would then have to receive and broadcast the Sonos network wireless signal)? If not, I could try putting another wireless speaker in the room and see if this improves the signal. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Yes, you're quite correct. A wireless BOOST (supplied with only power that is) could act as a relay if placed roughly midway between the PLAYBAR and the PLAY:3s. So would any Sonos device in fact.

Powerline connections can be a bit fickle, which is why Sonos doesn't officially support them. As a matter of interest which part of the diagnostic was showing problems? At a guess the PLAY:3s were displaying sync errors in anacapa.trace.
Hi,

Thanks for the response. In all the literature I didn’t see an option whereby you could connect a Boost without using a wired Ethernet cable to the device. Is it then possible to set up the Boost in another room without a cable, so long as at least one Sonos device has a cabled connection? If so, is it better to get a Boost or another speaker for the room inbetween the lounge (where the switch is) and the bedroom?

I am visually impaired and so can’t see the network map in detail other than the colours, I have three maps to show, the first one is the current wired connection using the home plugs, this is all green now but can cause problems:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/la4tfwm7w1ef2i4/wired1.png?dl=0

The second trace is using one of the Play speakers in a room between the wired connection and the bedroom:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul8jv86uwz3vov9/wireless1.png?dl=0

The third link is disconnecting all units from wired and using the wireless connection (which does use the HomePlug set up, so not sure if it will be much different from the first option in practise):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebsh4rhoh3anygk/wireless2.png?dl=0

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Andrew.
The first link didn't display anything, and the matrix in the third link is meaningless in 'Standard Setup' (i.e. using the router/devolo WiFi).

The second link's picture is instructive, since it shows:
- the R bedroom speaker is really struggling to get a signal directly from the PLAYBAR
- the L speaker -- which is now in the intermediate room -- is able to get a decent signal from the PLAYBAR and to the R unit beyond

Unless you actually want to buy another speaker for the intermediate room I suggest you get a BOOST and locate it there as proposed. In a SonosNet configuration such as yours (the sometimes confusingly named 'BOOST Setup') each and every Sonos component can send and receive, so they support one another by forming a mesh. This is what you see in the wireless1.png matrix picture, and this is what will happen if you put a BOOST in the middle room instead.