Question

'Existing system not found'

• 3 January 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge +2
My Sonos system usually works flawlessly. However over Xmas we turned the power off to Play 1's x 3 and Stereo set up of Play 5's 2Gen as we were away for a few days. The Sonos Boost, modem and router were left on. On our return I restored power to all downstairs speakers, but not to a Play 1 upstairs. All downstairs speakers worked fine and I listened to a radio broadcast for an hour or so. Went to bed, powered on Play 1 upstairs but couldn't 'discover' Sonos system via app on iphone 5 so I gave up. In the morning and subsequently neither iphones, ipad or pc are able to 'see' the Sonos system anywhere in the house. I've been through all the recommended procedures on the Sonos app but nothing works. Can anyone please advise me how to fix this? Many thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Badge +2
Dear jgatie, Appreciate your prompt reply. Posted question, walked the dog and I've already got a solution (hopefully) - most impressive. So I understand I must power off and then on each device sequentially: as in Modem off on. Router off on etc. I'll try it now...
Yes. That is the procedure.

Unfortunately, consumer grade routers are terrible at remembering IP assignments. If they are rebooted, they just hand them out in order, regardless of what was (and still is) in use before the reboot. Reserving addresses in the setup is the only solution.
Badge +2
Ok so here's the bad news. After 20 minutes of rushing round the house,'excuse me wife I need to turn your phone off' etc and in spite of green lights beaming at me everywhere, the same old message came up when I tried 'connect to an existing system' - 'Existing system not found'.
Badge +2
ps My on/off sequence was: Modem, Router, Nas drive, Sonos Boost, then 5 speakers off one by one, then 5 speakers on one by one, then pc, then iphones x 2 and ipad off one by one then on one by one. Did I make an error?
Very unusual. Check to see if your phones are on the correct WiFi band. If you have a dual band modem, you need to be connected to the 2.4 GHz band.
Badge +2
Phones do seem to be on correct WiFi band. Modem is BT OpenReach nga eci-cpe-modems type 1b but I have no idea if it is dual band or if I am connected on the 2.4 GHZ band. It's fibre to the cabinet with a speed quoted at 65 Mbps. The internet connection seems to be working perfectly. Thank you for trying to help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Do you have any controllers that can see Sonos at this point? If not, you'll need to make sure Sonos is still on the network. Make sure that the BOOST is still wired into the network and that the lights are on it. If you look on the router's admin page, do you see the players listed as online there?

Another step to take would be for an iOS device to turn off Wi-Fi Assist. Can you please turn off Wi-Fi Assist under iOS Settings > Cellular > Mobile Data > at the bottom slide Wi-Fi Assist off?