Answered

Existing System Not Found

Badge
Just purchased the Play 1 system and using my ipod touch along with your app and after about 15 minutes of setting up and start playing music the app will close down and state that Existing System Not Found even though the radio station I was using is still playing the app and touch are not talking with the system. Please advise in what is going on as at this moment I feel like taking it back and getting my money back.Regards Ttimm
icon

Best answer by Chris 8 March 2016, 17:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your touch is not seeing the system it means it has dropped of your home network wifi.

The great thing about Sonos is what you are seeing. Had you been playing something direct from your ipod the music would have dropped out when your ipod disconnected from wifi.

With Sonos the ipod is a remote control. You told Sonos unit to play radio station with the ipod. Sonos went out to internet and started playing the radio station. Then it doesn't matter if the ipod is connected or not Sonos will keep playing until you give it another command.

Most other products (like Bluetooth/airplay) your radio would have broken up and stopped playing when your ipod lost wifi signal.
Badge
Hi Chris, Thanks for that, but can you explain what I do then if listening to the radio I then want to play my iTunes music when the app says Existing System Not Found I have tried to reset it but nothing being found 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is your ipod touch showing that it is connected to wifi.

Sometimes, especially after ios upgrade, ios devices have network issue with IP addresses.

Best thing to do to make sure your ipod touch is connecting properly to your wifi is go into settings on ipod touch. Go to wifi setting. Tell it to forget your home wifi network.

reboot your home router

Then go back on ipod touch setting...wifi...add back your home wifi

This should clear up all IP address issues the ipod touch has. This isn't a Sonos related issue it is an ios issue. But Sonos not connecting is a symptom.
Badge
Thanks again for that Chris, taken out the wifi from the touch and restting the Router and Nothing still not finding my sonos system Trying to play music from itunes. Regards Timm
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Makes me think your Play:1 is not seeing your wifi properly.

Try this - plug the Play:1 via Ethernet into your router.

See if your ipod touch finds it then.

If it does and you want to go back to wifi only method then... on your ipod in the sonos controller go to settings...advanced...wifi setup and rerun the wifi setup.
Badge
Hi Chris, Done that and at the moment everything is working (touch wood) Timm
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Great Tim - just post if you have any other trouble.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Glad your all set Tim. I'm going to move this thread over to the Troubleshooting board.

Let us know if anything else comes up.
thats it iv had enough of sonos. constant problems trying to connect. ill flog this piece of @#$^ on eBay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
thats it iv had enough of sonos. constant problems trying to connect. ill flog this piece of @#$^ on eBay.

We're happy to help if you'd like a hand Darren. I'm sure we can get things more reliable for you. If you'd like to take another stab at things it'd be easiest to give us a call on our support line and have a technician assist live. They really can help.
good luck calling the support line. I am nearing the 2 hour mark on hold....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
New firmware update came out ...always causes network issues in such cases and of course everyones calling in then
why must I update to new firmware? I was perfectly happy with the prior functionality, I listen to music. Period. If someone else wants Sonos to also make their coffee, fine, let them update to a new app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm saying others have updates to the new firmware that came out. I have no idea if you have. I'm saying it is causing longer support times.
i had an update that i didn't want and am now am over 2h 15m. awesome. can't wait when i have to go around and unplug my 19 speakers once again.

a very unhappy customer
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can turn off auto updating in settings. But it should have asked you to update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is your router that gave out bad ip addresses. Many people get update and it doesn't duplicate ip addresses. Updates will help show inherant network problems.
not sure i understand. what am I supposed to do?
and why was it fine before the update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
your router has given out duplicate IP addresses and you don't know which devices in your house have the duplicates. The only way to really clear it is turn off all your wifi devices. Reboot router. then hopefully it should give out new clean IPs to the devices on your network.

For better protection, before you reboot all, you could go into router and assign your sonos units static ip addresses outside the normal range of ip addresses your router gives out to avoid the router accidentally duplicating.

It is a very common networking issue. My iPhone pretty much creates duplicates and messes up my network every time it gets a firmware update. Routers have a bad habit not properly recognizing units that get updates and ask for their old ip address back.
appreciate the response. I have so many wifi devices, 29 according to my router. This might take me 2 hours. another day....

i will never update the firmware again. I bought Sonos so I didn't have to spend my precious evenings monkeying around with IP addresses instead of hanging out with my family. Guess that illusion is shattered.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
networks can be finicky - sorry. Under settings you can turn off auto updates under advanced so that it won't prompt you for update in future.

Next expected firmware update will probably not be until late February or so (expected to include Amazon echo support)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
vs. trying to find the culprit you could just go in router and assign all your sonos units new fixed ip addresses - put them at top of your allowable range like .120, .121, etc.

Then just turn off sonos units only and reboot router. Your router will still have issues probably with some network devices that aren't rearing their ugly head but Sonos should then be clear of those conflicts.
Ty. So assigned static IP addresses to all sonos units. Unplugged them all, rebooted router. Nothing. On hold with tech support again this evening.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hope they find the problem.