Question

Every other song skipping, "song not encoded correctly"

• 7 December 2019
  • 4 replies

I currently have an issue where every other song in my queue with songs from Spotify is being skipped. When a song finishes, a message flashes up saying “Unable to play <song name> - the song is not encoded correctly”, but skips to the next song after that, which somehow plays perfectly fine. Also, if I go back and manually try and play the song that was skipped, it plays fine. Example:

Song 1 finishes

Skips song 2, starts song 3

Manually start song 2, plays fine

Song 2 finishes

Skips song 3 (even tho it played before), starts song 4

I can navigate through songs perfectly fine, it’s literally only an issue when one ends and tries to start the next one.

I’ve restarted the Mac controller app, but also happens via the iPhone app, and my network is fine and no other services have any issues.

if I play via the Spotify app, and use Spotify Connect to play to my Sonos system, there’s no issues at all, so it’s not the connection to the speakers.

This has only started in the last hour or so. Any ideas how to fix?

4 replies

That’s a pretty good indicator of wifi interference. Beyond the data in that link, I’d also suggest a refresh of your wifi, by doing a simple reboot of your router, followed by a reboot of all of your Sonos speakers. 

I can restart my router in a couple of days as I’ll get a new IP address assigned which will lock me out of work-related things, but my home network and connected devices haven’t changed for months so not sure why it would suddenly be an issue now. I’m also still not sure why it’s able to play the 2nd-next song, but not the next song, and I can play to all 3 Sonos speakers with no issues via the Spotify app, suggesting there’s no connection issue to the speakers?

I’ve restarted the access point the speakers are connected to, and the speakers, and it’s the same. It’s only the Sonos controller that isn’t working, the Spotify app is fine, playing to all 3 speakers, no skipping or drop outs. Use the Sonos controller app and it has trouble.

Then I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.