Answered

Error message: unable to play [songname] - access to //[laptopname]/music denied

• 7 April 2019
  • 2 replies

I've had sonos on my MacBook pro now for several years. Even ran it earlier this weekend. I made the fateful mistake of upgrading (as prompted) to the latest update (build No, 49263270).

As a result, I no longer have music. (and I'm leaving on a business trip so my wife will have no music his week. Am NOT amused with the Sonos Software team.) I did everything as prompted, the system appears to work, except that it can't access my music: the same music it COULD access on Friday. Sadly, this will have to wait until I get back next weekend, but I'm not happy with Sonos right now...
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 7 April 2019, 20:37

Check to see if there's been an update at the same time to a firewall or virus protection program. Firewall FAQ

Try removing the link to your library, then quit the app, and then add it back in.

Then, if that doesn't work, go ahead and delete the app itself, and then reboot your Mac, and install a fresh copy. Since the data is stored on your speakers, the only potential change would be a reset of the pipeline to the library.

Finally, it might be worth it if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
View original

2 replies

Check to see if there's been an update at the same time to a firewall or virus protection program. Firewall FAQ

Try removing the link to your library, then quit the app, and then add it back in.

Then, if that doesn't work, go ahead and delete the app itself, and then reboot your Mac, and install a fresh copy. Since the data is stored on your speakers, the only potential change would be a reset of the pipeline to the library.

Finally, it might be worth it if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of replicating this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Thank you Airgetlam,
I'd done most of what you said, and that, plus one other item I think finally did the trick. Here's what I THINK happened, and you gave me the clue. You stated that the data is stored on the speakers. Hold that for a moment.

I think my problem was a twofold problem. My data was originally from my 2012 MacBook. Somewhere along the way, because we'd lose the music when I went to work (taking the MacBook 2012 system to work), I managed to copy a lot of the songs from my MacBook to our old iPad. Can't even say for sure what exactly I did, but in the end, my wife could play music from the old iPad, often letting it run for days at a time with no problem (she likes new age meditation music low, in the background), even when I was at work.

When Sonos came out with their last update, it pretty much killed Sonos on my old iPad. Once that happened, NONE of our multiple devices would work! So today (and after updating my 2012 MacBook to Mojave, I went ahead and literally removed SONOS from the old iPad (sorry to lose that capability, but I had no way to keep it with the recent update.) I removed Sonos from both my old and new MacBooks, unplugged the speakers, and reinstalled it. On my 2012 system I completely deleted all libraries, and started over. After a reboot, (and plugging the speakers back in it worked! It now works from both my old and new MacBooks, and my wife newer iPad.

While I don't know why, it seems that somehow, the old iPad was the "dominant" controller, but the speakers seemed to think it had to "feed" off my 2012 MacBook. Once I killed the controller from the old iPad and restarted everything, we now seem back to business.

So whether I'm out in left field here, the point is that we're back, and your post gave me enough of a clue to use blunt force to get things back working. Thank you.