ERROR CODE 1002: When will Sonos EVER fix this?

• 18 January 2015
  • 21 replies

Just like everyone else... Already spent hours trying to fix it over the last few months. Sonos, PLEASE get this sorted... 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Tor,

Error 1002 generally means there was some network latency slowing down communication between your Sonos system and controller. To determine why this is happening on your network, and how to fix it, we would like to see some data from your system. Please send us a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number: How to submit diagnostics.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled ERROR CODE 1002: When will Sonos EVER fix this?. Just like everyone else... Already spent hours trying to fix it over the last few months. Sonos, PLEASE get this sorted... 
I can't get my music to play through my Sonos Play:5 system, I get error code 1002 when I try to add any music from my Mac Air to listen to. I have sent a diagnostic report, but I can't find the relevant Sonos customer support telephone number to call. I live in the UK. Can anyone give me the right number please : ) ?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi artist, here you go: 0808 234 6596 (freephone)
Thanks, can you provide the solution to error code 1002, the phone line is "extremely busy" and I don't know how long I will have to queue.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
It sounds like a time out, usually due to weak wifi, or interferences between the Macbook, router and Sonos. If you could send a diagnostics right after seeing that message, we can have a look: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/142
Please post the confirmation number here.
I sent through a diagnostic report about an hour ago, the number of the report was 6422734.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I sent through a diagnostic report about an hour ago, the number of the report was 6422734.
Thanks. So Sonos is not able to resolve the location of the Macbook. Go ahead and disable the file sharing from the Mac Preferences, Filesharing menu. Then restart your Macbook and try playback again.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
One more thing you need to do: Contact BT, and have them disable the "DNS assist feature" https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/92-242-132-15-Barefruit-Ltd/td-p/1062668
Get error 1002 from macbook and iphone. Tried submitting diagnostics but it's unable to do that too. So annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Get error 1002 from macbook and iphone. Tried submitting diagnostics but it's unable to do that too. So annoying.

Switch off your Wi-Fi Router
Switch off ALL your Sonos kit
Switch off ALL devices connected to your Network
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets
- Smartphones, thick phones
- NAS

Switch on Router. Wait until it has re-connecte to the internet
Switch on Sonos Bridge and/or Boost, Connect - Wait a minute or two for them to connect
Switch on your Sonos Plays and Playbar
Switch on all your other network devices
Thanks Stuart, will give it a try.
This is rubbish - Sonos needs to fix this, not tell us to turn off our firewall protection.
Interesting perspective. You have set up a system that denies access to a program to a specific location, and it is Sonos' fault? Or are you expecting them to purchase every type of firewall available and write code to break through all of them?

I'm pretty sure that all firewall programmers would be rather unhappy at such code being released. It'd be a guaranty to be used by others for nefarious purpose.

Sonos has set up an FAQ, and additionally helps people here in these boards, and on the phone, when they have issues with their firewalls. I don't quite see how else they could "fix" it.
I'm with Airgetlam. This isn't an error for Sonos to fix, it's informing you that there is something wrong on your network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is rubbish - Sonos needs to fix this, not tell us to turn off our firewall protection.

Hi Lynne,

You shouldn't have to disable your firewall to get things working. Usually configuring your firewall and antivirus will do the trick.

If that doesn't help, please send in a diagnostic report from your system and reply with the number.

I highly doubt permanently turning off a firewall is the suggestion given by any support staff. However, as a diagnostic tool, temporarily turning off the firewall could very well point to (or eliminate) the firewall as the problem, allowing one to properly proceed with a more permanent fix.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I highly doubt permanently turning off a firewall is the suggestion given by any support staff. However, as a diagnostic tool, temporarily turning off the firewall could very well point to (or eliminate) the firewall as the problem, allowing one to properly proceed with a more permanent fix.

I agree. I've spoken to support on a number of occasions and they would not suggest permanently disabling a firewall (unless you were running two or more)
Again I do not think SONOS will ever adequately address this issue. I have worked with them on more than one occasion to no avail, big disappointment.
When are people going to get the fact that this is a helpful warning of local network problems not an error for Sonos to fix. How difficult is that to understand?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well people buy sonos, get it home all excited, and all they get is 1002 error. All their other computer stuff works ok, why can't a speaker??
Suddenly they need network/computer knowledge they haven't got.
My problem was something to due with disabling something to do with iTunes, can't remember now, but you would think anything to do with iTunes, sonos would have it covered on install....

The good news is if you keep it and get the thing working, it is great 😉