Error 1101 while trying to update

• 1 December 2016
  • 25 replies

I went to the troubleshooting site and unplugged then plugged back in all of my speakers, then reset everything and it is still not letting me update citing error 1101, and telling me I cannot play any song that I select. Any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Badge
Same problem here. I'm attempting to get my Spotify account/app to work with my Sonos Play:1, tried entering the Beta, that didn't work so I left, and am now having trouble updating my Sonos Controller app and speaker.

Diagnostic ticket: 6809884
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, I just wanted to check in and see if you were still having trouble updating. We just released a new version.

The error 1101 is usually a timeout error, so a network restart is a great first step. Rebooting the router and then any connected switches and finally your Sonos players. When it's all back up, try again and if you have any trouble please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and let us know the confirmation number?
Hello Ryan,
i getting the same error with my zp90 when i try to update, i sent the diagnostic as you ask, can you please update what else can i do to resolve this issue?
Thank You!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
HI All

Best if you start a new thread.

If you do a diagnostic you need to post the number so the Sonos tech can pull your report.

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. Rebooting the router may correct this temporarily, but it actually exacerbates the problem because as soon as another IP lease expires, it starts handing out duplicates again. To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.

Also,

Make sure if you have a hard wired Sonos product to your router that Sonos and your router or on different channels

SonosNet

And that product is at least a few feet away from the router. Keep any other wireless devices as far away as you can.
Hi,
my network work fine, I also connect the zp90 to 2 different network (at my friends home) and still getting the same error (11)
the diagnostic confirmation number is: 7292429.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
If you set up the right environment for your Sonos System you will be fine. if the above does not work submit a diagnostic and post the number here.

Diagnostic
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Error 1011

This error is generated when the update process is canceled using the Sonos app. Depending on the number of Sonos products in your home, it may take several minutes for the update process to complete. Please allow the update to complete and do not cancel the update or exit the Sonos app during this time.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2393/kw/1101/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5MjAzNzc5MS9zaWQvZlVPeiU3RWdsMDNpSFhZclVuMWZMeFVndDdzZElaX1ZZdEg0T1hMNHpFOVl5dkNfREZRRV96UzNJd1puazhNeHdZQ0p3NW9ScGdJNE5MaDdRRmRqM09EMlBpQmlod3NVNEtoT1Baa0F3WU4zR2FMU1VZTEtDRHNVNEElMjElMjE%3D#1011
From the FAQ on error codes:

Error 1011

This error is generated when the update process is canceled using the Sonos app. Depending on the number of Sonos products in your home, it may take several minutes for the update process to complete. Please allow the update to complete and do not cancel the update or exit the Sonos app during this time.

I'd certainly agree with CapnLes regarding his troubleshooting steps and suggestions, but if that doesn't get you where you think you should be, I'd certainly recommend calling in to Sonos. It may be that the ZP90 is too far back in terms of it's firmware in order to update, which would require the phone call, and some specific help from those folks. You can find their hours and numbers at www.sonos.com/contact

Best of luck!

(And CapnLes was linking to this data himself while I was typing :))
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi,
my network work fine, I also connect the zp90 to 2 different network (at my friends home) and still getting the same error (11)
the diagnostic confirmation number is: 7292429.

Hi ramitshuva,

Your CONNECT is running a very old version of the software which can't update through the normal process. Our phone team can help out though. Please give us a call and reference case number: 170411-002050. You can find our phone number and hours here.
😠 im really not sure what are you try to say but its seems that im talking with some machine, i hope not, anyway my environment its fine as the sonos guide recommended and i did all the precedures the shown at the link above.
please just say if you dont know the technical sollution and dont waste our both time.
thank you!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
REALLY???

Jeff S is a tech for Sonos and wants to help you (I am just a guy that loves Sonos and wants to help). He has told you what the problem is and to call them with the number above!

What more is there to understand?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
:@ im really not sure what are you try to say but its seems that im talking with some machine, i hope not, anyway my environment its fine as the sonos guide recommended and i did all the precedures the shown at the link above.
please just say if you dont know the technical sollution and dont waste our both time.
thank you!

Your CONNECT is running version 3.4. Our current version is 7.2. Versions which are below a certain revision can't get updates through our servers. In order to get your CONNECT up to date we'll have to do so manually, which is something that we can't do over this forum, but we can do over the phone.
I'm not sure if this is still an issue for you as the thread is a bit old. Recently I encountered the same issue and it turned out to be snort blocking the connection. I'm not sure if you have an IPS but this is the error within snort "Executable Retrieved With Minimal HTTP Headers - Potential Second Stage Download" Basically snort tripped thinking this was a malware download and 2nd stage execution. I removed the block from snort and the update worked without issue.
Continue to receive this error after many attempts to correct this issue. What is the secret here? Its saying network related issue but I have yet to find any evidence that supports that. Here are the steps I have taken in attempt to correct said issue.

Connect was originally configured for wireless. In attempt to simplify the process, I factory reset device and configured device to use LAN connection. This resulted in a failed attempt to correct issue.

I powered off all equipment (Router, Switch, Wireless APs, Connect) for more than the 10 seconds that is suggested. The total time everything was powered off was a little over 20 minutes as I left to pick my kid up from school.

Powered on Router, waited for complete boot, then I turned on the Switch followed by the Connect. All of this and I still receive the error 1101. Any other suggestions I should try to resolve this issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, robertspil. Perhaps this FAQ will be helpful in giving some direction on different update error codes. If you are still having problems submit a diagnostic report, I will be happy to take a look and advise on next steps. Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end. Thanks!
Error code 1101. I’ve repeatedly followed the guidance online to rectify the issue but keep getting the same error. Now it’s regusing to play anything. Diagnostics submitted code
449792411. Thanks
I had error code 1101. I reset everything, and deleted the app with no success. I hardwired my sound bar directly to my router and that worked for me. Once it updated I disconnected the hardwire and has been fine since. (My router is 5feet from my sound bar)
Not used my laptop with music library stored for a while till today. Now I have disconnected, restarted etc. No problem using the radio but my controller wont update and just gives me error 1101. Shame as I really like the sound onths product, but the connectivity is nothing but aggro and putting me off adding to the sonos family. Nothing wrong with the wifi in my house either
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, smudger1979. Thanks for posting. Mind starting us off with submitting a diagnostic report and replying with the confirmation number it gives at the end? This will help get a better idea of what is happening. Does this only happen with the laptop or does this happen regardless of the controller you use?
x

Bumping as I have the same issue, error 1101. Tried all the steps on the FAQ and no luck. Tried to submit a diagnostic but it doesn't like that either. Please help, it's been offline for days now!
I'd suggest that if you can't even submit a diagnostic, you may be best served by calling in to Sonos to discuss it. That would give them the opportunity to remote into your computer, and perhaps see what the issue is.
Hey guys, I just wanted to check in and see if you were still having trouble updating. We just released a new version.

The error 1101 is usually a timeout error, so a network restart is a great first step. Rebooting the router and then any connected switches and finally your Sonos players. When it's all back up, try again and if you have any trouble please submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and let us know the confirmation number?
Wont let Submit Diagnostics either 😞 Have tried all recommendations +. I can play music that is local on my network but not any services. I can't update nor send diagnostics so apparently the Sonos Boost is having an external network issue. I have reset controls and created a new Sonos instance with the same results. Cant find any way to configure not check the Boosts connection. Have used other cables and plugged into other ports. No GO all around!
Might be best to contact Sonos to discuss it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Wont let Submit Diagnostics either 😞 Have tried all recommendations +. I can play music that is local on my network but not any services. I can't update nor send diagnostics so apparently the Sonos Boost is having an external network issue. I have reset controls and created a new Sonos instance with the same results. Cant find any way to configure not check the Boosts connection. Have used other cables and plugged into other ports. No GO all around!

Hi hardyburnett,

Your Sonos system is unable to communicate past your router. Most of the time this is due to out of date network information. Most of the time you can update the network information on your speakers and network by rebooting your router, and then rebooting each of your Sonos units by removing them from power for ten seconds or so. Once everything is back online, see if you can connect to music services and submit a diagnostic report. If not, Airgetlam's advice would be best. Please reach out to our phone support team as they can take a deeper look into your network to see why your system isn't connecting. Our phone number and hours can be found here.