Question

error 1002 - unable to add shared folder to music library - for mac

"unable to add the shared folder to your music library (1002)." running mac 10.6.8

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hello, Were you able to get this resolved? If not, please make sure your Mac's computer name is not too long as that is a common problem for file sharing. Check the instructions in this thread: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/sonos_music_manager_cannot_add_my_music_library_folders If you still have issues, please submit a diagnostics report after you recieve the error and reply here with the confirmation number. You can find instructions for submitting diagnostics here.
i have a windows 10 PC and get this error when i try to add any folders from my pc to Sonos. my pc name is not too long and all standard shares. any ideas?
Badge +1
Hi CarelKat,

On Windows OS, file sharing issues are usually related to the firewall and/or the network type.
I would advise to check if your firewall is properly configured to allow Sonos to access your music.
If this first step fails to fix the issue, please check if Windows considers your wi-fi network as a private/home network and not as a public one, and modify it if necessary.

Hope this will help.
Hello, I'm having the same problem: trying to connect to my Time Capsule drive from the Sonos iOS app, I'm getting "Unable to add the music share ... to your music library (1002)". I've confirmed that the path is correct, and tried altering the volume to a number of variations, to ensure that it's able to find the drive, which it is. Any idea what this means?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
JH11217 wrote:

Hello, I'm having the same problem: trying to connect to my Time Capsule drive from the Sonos iOS app, I'm getting "Unable to add the music share ... to your music library (1002)". I've confirmed that the path is correct, and tried altering the volume to a number of variations, to ensure that it's able to find the drive, which it is. Any idea what this means?

Hi JH11217,

That error usually indicates some sort of network slowdown. Please submit a diagnostic report from your system and reply here with the confirmation number. Here's how to submit reports.
Azur - Sonos wrote:

Hello, Were you able to get this resolved? If not, please make sure your Mac's computer name is not too long as that is a common problem for file sharing. Check the instructions in this thread: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/sonos_music_manager_cannot_add_my_music_library_folders If you still have issues, please submit a diagnostics report after you recieve the error and reply here with the confirmation number. You can find instructions for submitting diagnostics here.

Music library and sonos was working fine for months and went to refresh the library one day and got this error message and then continued to get it. Have tried everything suggested, restarting sonos and laptop, connecting via ethernet, removing and re-adding the music folder, shortening the name of the file, nothing works!! Don't know how it can work one minute and not the next, extremely frustrating! Please help, my diagnostics number is: 6754139.
Katejonesie,

I'd recommend taking a look at this:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2413/related/1

I think what you're describing may be helped by following those instructions, as none of the other steps you listed would help.
Badge +1
Airgetlam's advice is great. Follow the name change instructions in this FAQ. Make sure the computer name and the Netbios name are the same. If you end up changing either of these names, be sure to restart the computer after. Let me know how this goes.
Badge
Airgetlam wrote:

Katejonesie,

I'd recommend taking a look at this:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2413/related/1

I think what you're describing may be helped by following those instructions, as none of the other steps you listed would help.

Changing the name of my Mac worked! No spaces, no special characters in the name and turned file sharing on. Works great now I can play all of the music on my Mac through the Sonos app. No air play needed...

Thanks
Hello, I'm having the same problem: trying to connect to my Time Capsule drive from the Sonos iOS app, I'm getting "Unable to add the music share ... to your music library (1002)." Here is my confirmation number of my diagnostic submission: 6927917.
Click the Apple top left of your screen, click the sharing folder, then tick file sharing, then try adding your music to Sonos as before. This worked for me on my Mac Air running Sierra.🆒

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings