Answered

Entire System Drops Out

• 18 July 2021
  • 8 replies

I’ve got about 10 different Sonos products spread out around the house. Inexplicably, the whole system will not be recognized by either the Sonos app on my phone or the app on my Mac. However, when I ask Alexa to play, she is able to find the products and stream to them. 

The app does throw up an error message. However, I am never able to resolve the issue by following the instructions.  One particular instruction is that I turn everything off and on. However, this is not really practicable since four of the speakers are high up on the wall. 

Please advise what other detail you might need to help. 

I’ve submitted diagnostic 890531980 for reference. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 18 July 2021, 17:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

It sounds like its a ‘device discovery’ issue between the mobile device and the Sonos products - what router are you using and do you have any other wireless access points? 

If using an iPhone, perhaps try toggling off/on the network connection and in the wireless network connection properties toggle off the ‘Private Address’ MAC spoofing option, as that seems to sometimes cause issues with some routers.

Hi Ken. 

I use a standard Fios router, but the wifi is turned off. I use the router to feed several Ubiquiti access points throughout the house. When I launch the network controller, I can see all of the Sonos devices connected to the network. 

I tried to toggle off and on and also turned off Private Address, but that did not do anything. In fact, the one device that I had been able to see has now dropped out again. 

Is multicast enabled in the Ubiquiti APs? 

It is. I feel like at some point I was asked to turn it off though. So not sure how it got turned back on. Could that be it?

To be clear: you do not want to block/filter out multicast/broadcast traffic.

Is the network a single flat subnet, or are you using VLANs? 

Are any of the SONOS units wired to the network? Is this a suddenly new issue? If so, what changed?

I unchecked “Enable multicast enhancement (IGMPv3)”. 

I do not have checked “Block LAN to WLAN Multicast and Broadcast Data”

None of the SONOS are wired to the network. It is a new issue. Has been working perfectly. 

The only thing I can think changed is that i updated the Unifi network controller. 

In any case, I can now see all of the products. So i’m pretty sure it was unchecking “Enable multicast enhancement” that did the trick. 

Thanks to all who have helped!

unchecking “Enable multicast enhancement” that did the trick. 

It appears that this ‘enhancement’ could have been a flavour of IGMP Snooping that didn’t quite agree with Sonos.