Answered

Endless problems with Sonos

Badge

I’m on the brink of giving up on my Sonos system. Almost daily the system loses devices and then I can’t restore them to the network. Current problem is that all five of my devices are clearly visible on desktop / mobile apps and I can group them fine but then music only comes out of two. Creating a separate group with the remaining three works fine, but when I try to group all five again music doesn’t come out of them all. There doesn’t seem to be any method of diagnosing the problems so I can’t tell whether it’s a wireless issue, configuration issue, problem with my router or what. Constantly powering off devices is not practical (partly because extracting the power cables from the devices is so hard, and several area not easily reachable). WHY DOESN’T SONOS PROVIDE AN OFF BUTTON IF POWERING DOWN IS A CORE PART OF PROBLEM-SOLVING? God, I’m so frustrated. Sonos used to be amazing, but it’s so unreliable now I need to find an alternative.

So, my question is: how do I diagnose problems with my setup? Or do I just have to keep randomly trying things until something works?

icon

Best answer by Jean C. 1 April 2020, 19:10

Hello @redcitrus,

Thank you for that last diagnostic report. 

It looks like your Spare Room is on Sonosnet Channel 1 and the rest of your system is on Sonosnet Channel 6.

If you keep your lamp wired for the moment, can you change your Sonosnet Channel to 1? 

Once you have that changed, please test playback and then test this player un-wired and report back with your results. 

View original

41 replies

Badge

@Smilja - Many thanks - this seems to have worked. I can now see that all five devices are showing as WM:0 as you suggested they would. Network matrix looks a lot healthier now, although Kitchen still rather weak there’s nothing I can do about that because it’s in a fixed position.

Many thanks for your help with this. Unless I’ve missed it, it would be really helpful if Sonos provided a proper set of articles on how to achieve this rather than relying on the forum.

Cheers for now

Russell

If the Kitchen works OK despite the slightly weak signal then job done, which is great.  If it is still problematic,  you could try adding a Boost somewhere (e.g. between the current wired device and the kitchen), to act as a ‘relay’.

Badge

Hi @John B I have a couple of boosts lying around unconnected, but I thought these were soon to be unsupported by Sonos? If it’s worth me including one again then I’ll do just that. Thanks for the suggestion.

The signal to Kitchen is great. Adding a Boost will do nothing. It will be ignored. Kitchen’s just suffering from a poor noise floor due to local ambient RF noise. Given the signal strength is in the 40s it should be fine.

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

And it's not the Boost that is AOL. It's the Bridge.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @redcitrus,

It looks like everyone pitched in to help you before I had a chance to look in on your report. 

How is everything working now?

Can you submit a follow-up diagnostic report so I can see if there are any lingering issues?

It does look like your system was not operating in Sonosnet and may be in what we call “mixed mode”. I’d like to be sure that we get this resolved so that it does not continue to be an issue.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

And it's not the Boost that is AOL. It's the Bridge.

I meant EOL of course….

It gave me a smile, though. ;)

Badge

Hi all. OK, I seem to have taken a step backwards. Most of the devices are working properly, but for some reason I can’t get my Spare Bedroom device to appear on the network. I’ve tried a factory reset - twice - turned off range extenders, all DLANs are now turned off, but I still can’t add the thing without a network cable. I’ve tried the various routes to connect it to the system, but none have worked other than plugging in via ethernet, which is not possible in the room I need it to be. I cannot even add the thing when I take it down to the living room within a few feet of the Port which is wired into the network.

On a couple of occasions I’ve been able to add it wirelessly, and the app recognises the device but then fails on the “connecting” screen before timing out. I then get a chance at an alternate setup which starts asking me about my wireless network - but I want to stick with SononNet without falling back on that.

I’ve no idea what to do - I can’t send diagnostics because I can’t get the device connected in the first place.

Badge

@Jean C. For what it’s worth I’ve submitted another diagnostic under #2069785426.

Which model is “Spare Bedroom”? If it’s a Play:5/gen2 it’s not impossible that its wireless card has gone flaky.  

If the unit operates fine when wired that rather rules out an IP address conflict.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @redcitrus  Thank you for reaching back out with a diagnostic confirmation number. 

The missing room in your Sonos system seems to be an Ikea Symfonisk lamp. Is this correct?

What color is the LED status light on this speaker. is it flashing green or red or is it a steady white?

Are you able to wire this speaker to the network and then submit a third diagnostic where the Spare Bedroom player is present? 

To address playback issues specifically, do you usually play audio with all of your Sonos rooms grouped together?

If you un-group your rooms and play to the Living Room/Port alone, how is the music playback?

If you add your other Sonos rooms to the Living Room group, does playback stabilize or is it still patchy?  

Badge

Hi @Jean C. Thanks for your message.

Now that I’ve switched to the SonosNet arrangement the playback / grouping etc. seems much more stable, so that’s a good step forward. However I still cannot get the Symfonisk Lamp to connect wirelessly - the device is recognised but never gets past the “connecting to product” page, even when in the same room as another device, and after I’ve just performed a factory reset. 

I’ve now wired the Symfonisk Lamp into the network (albeit via a mesh range extender) and I was able to add it instantly. However - now no music comes out of it when grouped with other devices, despite the app indicating that playback is normal. When I ungroup it I can play music through it fine. If I have some time today I’ll try plugging it into the main network to see if that makes a difference, but I can’t imagine how the product knows it’s connected to a range extended rather than simply hard wired?

I’ve submitted another diagnostic under the number 1051336838.

Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @redcitrus,

Thank you for that last diagnostic report. 

It looks like your Spare Room is on Sonosnet Channel 1 and the rest of your system is on Sonosnet Channel 6.

If you keep your lamp wired for the moment, can you change your Sonosnet Channel to 1? 

Once you have that changed, please test playback and then test this player un-wired and report back with your results. 

Badge

@Jean C. Thanks for the suggestion, this seems to have - by and large - solved the problem, although I’m still getting occasional drop-outs from various devices but these seem just temporary and only for a few seconds. I’m still experiencing some other problems, though. For example this morning I tried to get music playing through my (brand new) Port, and while the app said it was operating OK (and I could switch the white light on and off), no sound was coming out. I then pulled out the power and reconnected it, and after a few minutes it started working again fine. Why would it just stop playing music like that? Can’t see how this would be network-related?

I’ve output another diagnostic under #742383816.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hello @redcitrus,

If you are usually playing your music in all rooms as a group, you may have better experience by selecting your Port as the playback target and then adding the other rooms to it. 

Currently your “Ktchen” unit is the head of your group, you may want to un-group and rearrange this configuration. 

If you are using the Port as a the audio source, you may want to select the Port as the source from the “Browse” menu rather than including it in the group.

The player that starts the group is going to have the most impact on audio performance so it’s best to start with the hardwired player when possible. 

With Sonos, 90% of it is going to be network related since the entire system from the controller through to playback is dependent entirely on network communications.