Answered

endless loop - reconnecting to wifi - then app shows no system

• 29 May 2021
  • 7 replies

I have upgraded from an Asus WiFi router to an Asus ZenWifi Mesh system.
It’s running in Tri-Band SmartConnect mode with a wired backhaul.
The “airtime fairness” system is disabled. (It was by default)

Have tried going through the reconnection steps in the Sonos app on an Android and an iOS device.
Connecting the phone to the 2.4Ghz band didn’t seem to make any difference.
The app goes through the steps involving pressing the top two buttons and the pressing the top and bottom buttons until each speaker chimes (more of a chirp) and the light flashes orange.

The first few times the Play 1 and Play 3 process has completed fine but when I next reopen the Sonos app it’s once again showing greyed out options.

Rebooting the Asus hasn’t helped.
Only turning on the primary router hasn’t helped.

I can see that both Sonos speakers are connected in the Asus router network map.

I have tied wired ethernet connection with the Play 1 and that works but once removed the Sonos app again reports it’s unable to find the Sonos system.

I am hoping that “buy an £85 Boost” is not the only option here.
Asus Zenwifi XT8 with Sonos | Sonos Community

FWIW The XT8 has significantly improved the range and speed for all my other devices.

icon

Best answer by _Richard_D_ 29 May 2021, 16:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

As it’s a mesh type of WiFi network, you probably may find it best to run your Sonos devices on SonosNet anyway (with just one device wired to the primary mesh Hub). If it’s inconvenient to wire a speaker, then I would (still) consider using a Sonos Boost (not Sonos Bridge) as the single wired device instead.

Thanks Ken.
Do we know why Sonos devices do not play nicely with mesh WiFi networks?

One step forward… two steps back...
I have plugged our Play:5 in to wired network.
The Sonos app connected to the system but is showing the speaker as “Incompatible”.
The Sonos app prompts me to disable the Wi-Fi connection for the Play:5 but when I tap that option it takes me to a page asking me to confirm my email… which I do, re-entering the password which then shows an “Account update complete” messag, saying my product is now linked to my Sonos account.
When I click the “Done” (top right) it takes me back to the “Incompatible” page where the “Enable Wi-Fi” option is still ticked.

I’m generally a patient person but the endless loops I am experiencing with the Sonos app and speakers are really triggering me right now. #GroundhogDay

I did also find this below-linked thread, which may relate to your particular network setup and you may perhaps find some further information in its posts and the links off it, that’s if you decide not to go the SonosNet route and wish to explore the matter further:

Thanks Ken.
Do we know why Sonos devices do not play nicely with mesh WiFi networks?

The controller uses SSDP to initially discover the Sonos players, multicasting UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. Thereafter communication is unicast and it appears ‘just a few’ mesh networks (certainly not all) can sometimes have issues with these things, at least that’s my understanding. So I tend to suggest perhaps using Sonos’ own SonosNet signal when using mesh-based systems, as it (works) bypasses the communication issues.

One step forward… two steps back...
I have plugged our Play:5 in to wired network.
The Sonos app connected to the system but is showing the speaker as “Incompatible”.
The Sonos app prompts me to disable the Wi-Fi connection for the Play:5 but when I tap that option it takes me to a page asking me to confirm my email… which I do, re-entering the password which then shows an “Account update complete” messag, saying my product is now linked to my Sonos account.
When I click the “Done” (top right) it takes me back to the “Incompatible” page where the “Enable Wi-Fi” option is still ticked.

I’m generally a patient person but the endless loops I am experiencing with the Sonos app and speakers are really triggering me right now. #GroundhogDay

This is possibly related to my comment above, but rather than tinkering with things you maybe best to contact the Sonos Support Staff via the link below as they may have some answers for these different types of mesh networks.

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

On the ASUS RT-AC86U router I see these settings below are often suggested to resolve the multicasting issues, but I’m not sure if these settings may apply to your particular ASUS ZenWiFi mesh-based setup. Sorry I don’t know very much about your ZenWiFi system, but post these instructions in case it may assist:

• Under Advanced Settings, click LAN.
  • Select the IPTV tab.
  • Enable Multicast Routing (IGMP Proxy) and Efficient Multicast Forwarding (IGMP Snooping.)
  • Go back to Advanced Settings, and click Wireless.
  • Select the Professional tab.
  • Enable IGMP Snooping.

I have done a factory reset of the Asus XT8 and after reconfiguring everything I’m still having the same issues with the Sonos app.

I have hard rest all three spears and reinstalled the Sonos app on my phone, after deleting stored data.
I have been able to setup the Play:5 connected via ethernet cable.
When I then setup the Play:1 and Play:3 they have connected to the Play:5’s network.

I then added my WiFi as a trusted network in the Sonos app.
The Play:1 and Play:3 continue to use the Play:5’s network (all three show as ethernet devices in the Asus router app.)

I turned the Play:5 off and the Play:3 connected to my WiFi network.

Fingers crossed the issue is solved.
Asus firmware version is 3.0.0.4.386_43170 in case anyone else has this issue.
With the XT8 the router and node both need to be hard reset, by holding down the WPS button after powering on and waiting for it to flash white, then off, then flash green, then off before taking your finger off the WPS button.

@Ken_Griffiths Thanks for your help.

I did also find this below-linked thread, which may relate to your particular network setup and you may perhaps find some further information in its posts and the links off it, that’s if you decide not to go the SonosNet route and wish to explore the matter further:

The Asus XT8 reset, after upgrading the firmware, seems to have worked for me.

With the XT8 the router and node both need to be hard reset, by holding down the WPS button after powering on and waiting for it to flash white, then off, then flash green, then off before taking your finger off the WPS button.

I also uninstalled the Sonos app and hard reset each Sonos speaker before re-adding them in the Sonos app.