Emojis get removed from speaker name

• 29 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I use emojis in the name of the Sonos speakers to help my son, who cannot read, identify which speaker is which (mainly used via Airplay). However, whilst emojis are accepted in the app, and appear as expected in the speaker name, they periodically disappear and revert to non-emoji adorned names. Why?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Most likely the Sonos devices are registered in Apple HomeKit as ‘Accessories’, which is naming them back. I would suggest you actually name them in HomeKit instead (with emoji’s), which will change the name in the Sonos App too and then see if the emoji’s stay in place for you and your Son.

Good idea, but I don’t have the speaker added in the ‘Home’ app.

If no-one else here has any further suggestions, then I would perhaps rename the speaker(s) again with the emoji’s included and when you discover the name change next time, submit a Sonos diagnostic report in the Sonos App at the earliest opportunity and post it’s reference back here. Then contact/chat to Sonos Support via this LINK to see if they can assist with the issue.

I’d be curious as to how the ‘older’ Linux kernel that runs on the speakers handles emojis. How long do they last before this ‘periodic’ disappearance? I’m actually fascinated that they ever appear at all. While not a programmer, can anyone tell me if the emoji data get stored as a character string, or something like that? I’m just not familiar with Linux at all.

Yes, I’m showing my age with BASIC and Java....