Answered

Echo with sound-bar and one

• 31 October 2019
  • 87 replies

I am having an “echo” sound coming from my Sonos One speakers that are in surround sound mode with my sound bar. I have them grouped and they have been this way for a long time, I have done a truesound calibration a couple times, it will sound good for a day or two and then I notice an echo coming from the One speakers again. Can someone help me, please?!?!

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 19 November 2019, 22:41

We’re still working on this issue, it’s being investigated and as soon as a fix is ready to go we’ll let everyone know. For now, using the home theater device as the first in the group will work while we get this resolved.

Edit: For clarity, this means play music first to your home theater player, such as a Playbar or Beam, and after the music is playing, use the Sonos app or press and hold the play/pause on your other speakers to group them together. If the home theater speaker is the group coordinator, the first one in the group, the echo won’t start up with music playback.

View original

87 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi cabre678, do you notice this with music you’re playing along with TV audio, or is it just one of the two sources? When it’s currently happening, can you follow the steps here to send a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number that comes up?

It happens while listening to music, I really have not noticed it while watching tv. I will send a diagnostic the next time I notice it. 

Userlevel 7

@Ryan S

@cabre678

Maybe I’m missing something (which it wouldn’t be the first time) :sweat_smile: . But the “echo” as you call it IHMO is only being caused by setting the surrounds to “Ambient” and not “Full-On” speaker setting when playing music...which I would think is normal. The sound should only be noticeable (i.e. disturbing) when in close proximity to the surround(s). Isn’t that  much like the sound one hears in the surrounds when the TV broadcast is in stereo?

:thinking::thinking:

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

That’s correct, AjTrek1. However, there may be a specific issue that we’re looking into where sometimes the two are slightly out of sync. The diagnostic will let me know if that’s what we’re seeing here.

Userlevel 7

@Ryan S 

Agreed!

BTW I wasn’t advocating that @cabre678 not send in the diagnostic. Sorry, if my commect came across that way. 

Cheers!

Badge

My Sonos system is setup with a Playbar, two Sonos Play:1s in my living room, a Sonos 5 in the adjacent dining room/kitchen area and a Sonos One in my bedroom. Recently I’ve noticed that the sound in my living room area gets out of sync. When I pause the music and re-start it, the echo goes away. This almost definitely comes from the Playbar and Play 1 pair getting out of sync.

Diagnostic #: 656172140

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi @mbeemsterboer, I merged your thread to this one as I suspect you might be experiencing the same issues. Your diagnostic shows that you are seeing something that’s currently being worked on by the team. To prevent this echo from coming up, you should be able to group your devices with the Playbar as the main speaker instead. To do this, when you press “group”, do so on the Playbar’s line, not any other rooms. That sets the Playbar as the coordinator for the group, and should keep everything in sync while we work on this issue.

Badge

Thank you @Ryan S! I’ll do that and reply back if I have any problems. Thanks for the quick reply!

I seem to be having the same issue. The echo starts up, but can be fixed by pausing but then comes along a bit later. When playing music the surrounds go out of sync. It’s pretty bad. 
My system (playbar plus 2 ones) has been fine for months. These problems seem to have started after installing a new router and then having to reconnect all speakers. 
I’ll post a diagnostic next time it happens. 

Hi @Ryan S Here is a diagnostic  from my side  

This is very frustrating. It starts out ok but after 10-20 mins seems to fall out of sync. 

I have a playbar + sub + LS + RS (both Sonos one) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for the diagnostic @NDZ. You’re seeing the same thing as above. We’re working on it, but for now, if you play music to the Playbar first and then add other rooms to the group, it should play fine without an echo starting.

In my room I have a Beam and 2 Play1 as surrounds.  The surrounds are not in sync with my beam and creates a terrible echo.  It’s been fine since it was set up roughly a year ago, but similar to NDZ above the problem started after having to make changes to my router and reconnecting the Sonos system. 

Diagnostic confirmation # 691778977

Exactly same problem here, has only arisen over the last month or so after being perfect for years before. 

Playbar, sub, 2x play 1s, grouped together as the 5.1 setup. TV playback is faultless, it's just music that is the problem. 

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/playbar-two-play-1s-sync-issue-6832152#post16373325

I’m having the same issues with playbar, Sonos 1s and a sub. All started in past few weeks. Just with music and radio. 

Hoping sonos can sort it soon. 

This morning, my Playbar and the “surround” Play:1 speakers started falling out of sync, creating an echo effect.  The difference is noticeable after about 15 minutes or so and gets worse as time goes on.  Stopping and then restarting the audio fixes the problem for the moment, but the sync problem once again is quite noticeable after about 15 minutes.

I submitted diagnostics, confirmation 1806934340.

Thanks.

Are you guys coming up with a fix for this, just curious… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

We’re still working on this issue, it’s being investigated and as soon as a fix is ready to go we’ll let everyone know. For now, using the home theater device as the first in the group will work while we get this resolved.

Edit: For clarity, this means play music first to your home theater player, such as a Playbar or Beam, and after the music is playing, use the Sonos app or press and hold the play/pause on your other speakers to group them together. If the home theater speaker is the group coordinator, the first one in the group, the echo won’t start up with music playback.

@Ryan S please keep us all updated. Thanks

Thanks, @Ryan S.  That does the trick.  I did have the Playbar/Play:1 setup grouped with another room, and that other room was on top.  Typically, I have the home theater setup on top.

Badge +1

I am having an “echo” sound coming from my Sonos One speakers that are in surround sound mode with my sound bar. I have them grouped and they have been this way for a long time, I have done a truesound calibration a couple times, it will sound good for a day or two and then I notice an echo coming from the One speakers again. Can someone help me, please?!?!

I feel this as well - been for a month now - whether the setting of the surround is FULL or AMBIENT… starts well… then goes out of sync… will use the advice quoted here for now (TV as first source)

I am having exactly the same problem and posted diagnostic 1764942828 a couple of days ago, the suggested fix was to remove bridge and connect to home wifi but that didn’t solve the issue. Now I’m reading that this is a known issue and Sonos is working on a fix. No mention of this in the reply to my diagnostics. Anyway, can you please explain to me the “temporary” fix you suggest above, using the home theatre device as the first in the group? What do you mean by that exactly? I have a surround set up in the living room with Beam+Play1L+Play1R. Then I have 2 Play1 as stereo pair in the kitchen. And another two a stereo in the bedroom. You mean I should start music with only living room selected, and then add the other rooms after? Thanks!

Badge +1

I believe it means the following. You first or the music on the group you have that is made of playbar and surround

From there and once  go and asounding, you add the other speakers. 

thanks Thierry C, I’ll try that tonite and post back outcome.

I have tried the suggested temporary fix, start with the Beam and surround first and then add other groups and it seems to be working. No more echo for now. Now waiting for a proper fix from Sonos, @Ryan S please keep us posted! Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Glad to hear that temporary workaround is working for you IvanImp. I’ve update the “solution” post to have more clear directions as well.