Answered

Earlier generation Play 5 volume fading in and out

• 19 November 2017
  • 25 replies

From what I've seen elsewhere in the forum, I don't think this is the most frequent variation of this problem. In my case it's as though the volume is being turned down and turned up, rather than there being total dropout of sound. There's no particular pattern, nor is the degree of the volume lowering consistent. It doesn't seem to be the case that the louder volume ever exceeds what I'd set it to. I hope what I'm describing makes sense.

I've moved the unit closer to the wi-fi router, but I don't notice any lessening of the problem. It would be helpful to have a little more access to the player's networking layer, but I don't get the impression that any diagnostic software is available beyond the controller app, which, for it's relative complexity, is frustratingly devoid of any useful diagnostic functions.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 21 November 2017, 20:28

noisy_cats & Dave3: Sounds like the both of you should give our technicians a call. They will be able to finalize any troubleshooting, should you have defective speakers. Based on the diagnostic from noisy_cats, I'm not seeing any errors in the PLAY:5 error log. Assuming the both of you are experiencing the same thing, the quickest way to get the unit replaced would be to talk to a support technician. Our contact information can be found here.
View original

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, noisy_cats. Thanks for reaching out to the Community. If you don't mind, please submit a diagnostic report and I will be happy to take a look at what is going on. I am curious to see what errors appear right after experiencing this problem. Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end. Much appreciated.
Thanks for your willingness to investigate! Conf number is 8112444
I forgot to add in the reply that two days since the problem began, the unit seems effectively dead in the water. Getting no sound at all. This must surely be a failed component.
Badge
I have had this exact same issue, it started by fading in and out and now doesn't play sound at all. I have tried factory resets, using different music inputs (Amazon Music, TuneIn, Music on my iPhone, Line-In) and it just won't make a sound - my iPhone says its playing music and its definitely connected to the speaker but nothing comes out. Has anyone had this issue and had it fixed? I have been through the support desk and, while helpful, they haven't resolved the issue and don't know whats wrong.. is this an update issue with older generation Play 5's???
Not dead yet (but not getting better really either). Noticed unit very faintly producing sound, and then strangely it comes back to life. The random fading in and out persists, still with no discernible pattern or duration. It'll play fine for a while, then just fade, as though someone turned the volume way down. It's odd--it reminds me just a little of the way an old tube based t.v. would have to warm up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
noisy_cats & Dave3: Sounds like the both of you should give our technicians a call. They will be able to finalize any troubleshooting, should you have defective speakers. Based on the diagnostic from noisy_cats, I'm not seeing any errors in the PLAY:5 error log. Assuming the both of you are experiencing the same thing, the quickest way to get the unit replaced would be to talk to a support technician. Our contact information can be found here.
Badge
Hi Keith, thanks for the reply.

I have been in contact with the support team and they have been very helpful. However, it turns out the speaker is defective and is completely dead. I cannot believe that a £500 speaker has broken after a few years, I have used it relatively infrequently and I have been incredibly careful with it. Getting the unit replaced is all very well but that will cost a further £350!! I was just about to buy the new Sonos One to add to my system but am having serious doubts about investing in something if it will only last a few years 😞
Same exact thing is happening to my old gen Play 5. Started about a week ago. My Play 1 and Play 3 are doing well.
Badge
That is really strange, surely that can't just be a coincidence?! 3 of us have had the exact same issue at the same time? Has a software update done something to old generation Play 5's? Mine was working perfectly before the issue and I hadn't moved it or done anything to it when it started going wrong..
I do believe it started after a software update. Prior to that, the Play 5 was working perfectly well. If their software bricked my speaker, they should replace it.
Update: after spending an hour with the Sonos technicians, they're going to go ahead an replace the speaker. They're treating it as if under warranty since they realize the software change may have caused the damage.
I forgot to add in the reply that two days since the problem began, the unit seems effectively dead in the water. Getting no sound at all. This must surely be a failed component.
Bought the play3 a couple of days ago. Today I noticed the volume coming up and down but also clarity of sound with it. It is random...so from what I read I can expect for it to go dead in the next couple of days?!
I was tossing between sonos and Bose pls don't tell me I chose wrong 😠
Badge
I can't imagine it would go dead after two days of ownership, I have only seen this issue on the older generation Play 5s. Its more likely to be an issue in the set up (sometimes setting up using a bridge and direct with the player can cause issues) so I would get in touch with Sonos Technical support who will ask for a diagnostic and hopefully sort the issue.. their technical support really is superb so definitely worth contacting them. Good luck, let us know how you get on 🙂
Thanks Dave3! Will keep you posted
Wow quite the party of pissed off people in here after being told their 450.00 us speaker units are now JUNK... Mine as well just decided to have its volume go nuts up and down. Might have been a simple (evil) update forced onto an ipad or something but was told it was a bad blocks of memory on flash memory in the unit! Think about that! Dump a 400+ speaker set because the flash memory can't be replaced! LOL... That stuff is so cheap now! Only one thing comes to mind: A great documentary on the subject here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdh7_PA8GZU If you can watch this docu and still fork over cash for a Play 5 Gen 2 refurbished you are simply asking to get hosed again...
I do believe it started after a software update. Prior to that, the Play 5 was working perfectly well. If their software bricked my speaker, they should replace it.

No, it bricked the entire world of Play 5 Gen 1's...

Same exact thing is happening to my old gen Play 5. Started about a week ago. My Play 1 and Play 3 are doing well.

Yep. Exactly the same here... Play 3 running fine Play 5 playing games...
Oddly, both of my PLAY:5 gen 1s are working just fine on 8.2.2. Perhaps there's another issue plaguing you beyond the software update? You may want to submit a system diagnostic, and call in to Sonos to discuss.
Having issues with fading out and in on my Play 5 first gen. However, only when being paired with my playbar connected via IR to a television. Pairing the play 5 with a play 1 works fine.
That's unusual. I'd recommend the next time you have that experience, you should submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and call in to Sonos to discuss it.
Thanks. I tried changing the SonosNet channel in the setup section, and that seemed to help.
I have three Sonos Play:5 gen 1 speakers, but one of them is different than the other two. One has a 'speaker' symbol with a line through it on the controls, where the other two have the play/pause symbols. The other two are working fine, but the one with the speaker symbol is doing the fade in/out thing. I've switched to line in, switched wireless channels, etc., nothing keeps it from fading in/out. A bit disconcerting.
Doug2, I’d recommend my previous post to get you pointed in the right direction.
Hi, this is a common pattern to many Player 5 model, you need to take responsibility for it as it is not an isolated case.
I give you my diag# 1033941461.
I hope you will be able to help and cover entirely this issue, many customers are already upset and you need to stop telling them to replace the item or buy another for any money even if it is $10!