Duplicated iTunes Playlists

• 20 February 2012
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I use itunes to manage my music library and have my itunes folder synchronise with a shared folder on my NAS/Server that Sonos indexes and has been playing the files and playlists from quite happily for the last six months or so.

Yesterday when viewing my imported playlists I found I have duplicates of each playlist in my iTunes library.

-Imported playlists
Playlist1
Playlist1
Playlist2
Playlist2

Both play lists work and I have tried deleting the share from the Sonos Music libraries set up and then re adding the share but it still brings back the duplicate play lists, I've checked iTunes and only have one of each playlist showing there.

Any help or info on how to remove the duplicated playlists would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Duplicated iTunes playlists are almost always due to multiple iTunes library files in the Sonos share. Search the Sonos share for files like 'iTunes Library.xml' and iTunes Library.itl'. Remove the copies that are not in use by iTunes.
Duplicated iTunes playlists are almost always due to multiple iTunes library files in the Sonos share. Search the Sonos share for files like 'iTunes Library.xml' and iTunes Library.itl'. Remove the copies that are not in use by iTunes.

Sonos only reads the .XML files from iTunes. It does not read the .ITL file.

Look for the two variants of the XML file usually found as:
iTunes Music Library.xml or iTunes Library.xml

Any multiple instances within your Sonos "Shares" will cause trouble. This also includes your Recycle Bin(s). Empty those as well.

Best of Luck
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks for the replies, I did find an additional iTunes XML file in another folder under the share, I've deleted the file and emptied the recycle bin on the server/NAS. I've re indexed the Music library twice but I'm still seeing duplicated imported play lists.

I've been through all the folders in the shared folder and I only have the one the one XML file now in the root of the shared folder. Is there anything else I need to do after removing the additional XML file?
Userlevel 2
I ve had a similar issue, managed to get it sorted this morning. I had multiple library.xml files and multiple itunes folders due to hamfisted attempts to bring itunes music from old pc to new pc. To make it worse, Itunes was referenceing library in one folder, whilst music was in another, so had different play lists in itunes and sonos! Eventually cleared all library files except the latest correct one, made sure that was in same folder as music, deleted all music source from sonos, then recreated library source in sonos - seems to have worked fine - same playlists in itunes and sonos, and listed only once.
...Eventually cleared all library files except the latest correct one, made sure that was in same folder as music, deleted all music source from sonos, then recreated library source in sonos - seems to have worked fine - same playlists in itunes and sonos, and listed only once.

Always a good idea to check your PC. Smart computer Data-Hygiene practices are always rewarded with better performance. 😃
Userlevel 2
Fast way to remove thousands of duplicates from iTunes?

Look at the top of the thread. Duplicates are usually due to multiple 'iTunes Library.xml' files.

Well...The "SmartyPants" answer is not to let them happen in the first place. :o

But as you're asking, we may be past that point. :)

I assume that you mean duplicates within the iTunes environment, not within the Sonos environment.

If it's wintin Sonos, just remove all the multiple .XML files and re-index your music. It may be useful to remove the Share and then re-Add it back to fully flush the dupes.

If you mean duplicates within iTunes, it could be easy or difficult depending on their nature.

Are these duplicate 'physical' song Files on the computer, or duplicate iTunes References within the iTunes Library?

If duplicate References, do they point to differing files on the computer or to the same computer file?

Post back with more of a description of the 'duplicates' and we can assist.

Best of Luck
I am able to manage the duplicate playlist thing when importing itunes into sonos by renaming all itunes management files except for the one .itl file. BUT I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO! I'm surprised that after all this time Sonos hasn't fixed this bug in its import process. I should not have to jump through hoops just to import my new itunes playlists into Sonos. Also, it'd be great is there were more options in the directory for managing your queue in Sonos. For example, it'd be great if when I chose 'genre' I could choose to have the directory display by composer as well as album.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
i have this duplicate playlist problem and i'm glad i found this thread. I deleted all the extraneous iTunes @.XML files I could find and emptied my recycle bin. I forced an update to my music library, but i still have dup lists. I have two .XML files in my iTunes folder -- one is iTunes Library.XML and the other is iTunes Music Library.XML. should i have both? can i delete one?

the create and modify dates are weird:

iTunes Library.XML created: 4/27/2016 last modified: 12/22/2012 (that is not a typo...create date is AFTER last modified)
iTunes Music Library.XML created: 11/23/2016 last modified: 11/23/2016

Also, there are references to deleting the .XML files in the "Sonos share." Is that anything different than the location of the music library referenced in Music Library Settings? I've only got one reference there, pointing at c:users\eric\music\itunes. I don'tsee why .XML files in other directories would be an issue.

thx for your help. this has been driving me crazy.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Can anyone offer any help on this? i'm exasperated.
I opened up iTunes on my computer and noticed the duplicate playlists there. I removed the duplicate playlists on iTunes. Then you goto Sonos (MANAGE / MUSIC LIBRARY SETTINGS) and have to remove your current music file and re-add. This worked for me.
ESBehh - was your question ever answered?

I have duplicate iTunes playlists in Sonos and found two files in my iTunes folder
- iTunes Library.xml (Date Modified: Today; Date Created: Oct 10, 9:04PM)
- iTunes Music Library.xml (Date Modified: Oct 10, 2017 11:39AM; Date Created: Nov 26, 2009 5:20PM)

Following this thread, I'm assuming that the problem is the existence of both of these files and that I need to delete one. Which do I delete? I have the most updated versions of Sonos and iTunes.

It looks like the iTunes Library file might have been created as a duplicate/replacement of the iTunes Music Library file, but I'm not totally sure.

Anyone have any ideas?
I use for this purpose iTunes Duplicate Remover Free http://manyprog.com/itunes-duplicate-remover.php