Answered

Dropping out

• 21 February 2019
  • 10 replies

This is so frustrating. Could SONOS be the most unreliable and difficult hardware on the planet?

Diagnostic is 846218572. My Sonos system is constantly cutting out. I can’t finish a song. I have a wired boost direct to modem and then wireless speakers throughout the house
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 23 February 2019, 23:13

Sonos Staff have previously stated that there is an issue at the moment that can cause audio to skip when playing from the storage on an iOS device whilst having non-Sonos AirPlay devices on the network and/or the iOS device goes into auto-lock.

You can get the stream going by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or by disabling auto-lock in the iOS settings menu under 'Display & Brightness'.

Hope that helps.

See also this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/podcasts-play-from-this-phone-constantly-cut-out-random-spots-6805263/index1.html#post16272813
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, Saddler. Welcome to the community. It can be frustrating, but then there are hundreds of thousands of other users who have never had an issue, so I doubt that yours is insurmountable. Can you provide us with a bit more information? What are you playing, music library, Spotify, tracks kept on a mobile device...? What sort of router do you have at home, any extenders? How often does this issue occur? Finally, following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. Many thanks in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I just saw your other topic and added the information from there to your post above. Thanks for providing the diagnostic. Although it did not show any instances of the issue occurring (so I could not see what you were attempting to play), what I did notice was that there was a presence of WiFi interference. This is often the cause of audio playback issues. I would have a look at those links and check if any of the information seems applicable. If those links don't work, not to worry, we can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following any further occurrence of this issue or changes in your setup, please submit a further diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause.
Please do be sure to provide the information requested in the topic above as it will help us towards resolution. Many thanks in advance.
Ok here is the latest diagnostic it works and then just stops and can’t get started at all.

Ok here is the latest diagnostic it works and then just stops and can’t get started at all.

As it’s the weekend the staff here may not be available for a few days, so as another user, I just thought I would see if I could help.

1. Can you say if your running your system on your local WiFi, or on SonosNet (with a device wired to your LAN)?
2. What/where is the audio source, that you are playing to your speakers?
3. Have you tried different wireless channels and read the advice in the two links provided by Edward R. in his post above?
I have a boost connected to router. So it is a wired (sonos mesh). iPhone X is the source. And I have changed channels numerous times
Sonos Staff have previously stated that there is an issue at the moment that can cause audio to skip when playing from the storage on an iOS device whilst having non-Sonos AirPlay devices on the network and/or the iOS device goes into auto-lock.

You can get the stream going by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices in your home, or by disabling auto-lock in the iOS settings menu under 'Display & Brightness'.

Hope that helps.

See also this link:

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/podcasts-play-from-this-phone-constantly-cut-out-random-spots-6805263/index1.html#post16272813
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why do folks still insist on trying to play music directly from their iPhones? Phones are awesome devices for so many client-style actions, like running apps and browsing the web, but they are simply not designed to run http servers 24x7, which is what they are forced to do in order to service music files to Sonos players. Apple make it super-difficult for apps to run "always" in the background (with good reason). Please folks, use a cloud service (eg Apple Music) or a file share if you want reliable playback.
Why do folks still insist on trying to play music directly from their iPhones? Phones are awesome devices for so many client-style actions, like running apps and browsing the web, but they are simply not designed to run http servers 24x7, which is what they are forced to do in order to service music files to Sonos players. Apple make it super-difficult for apps to run "always" in the background (with good reason). Please folks, use a cloud service (eg Apple Music) or a file share if you want reliable playback.I agree. Mobiles are okay to listen to music on the bus, walking, or in a car, en-route to/from work etc. or perhaps for playing to a single Bluetooth speaker for a while, but they’re not really an ideal audio source for a wireless multi-room stereo audio system. Apple make things more difficult, as they try to reduce/prevent things running in the background to improve the battery life of their devices, that’s always a big thing at Tim Cook's keynote presentations.

More and more folk are turning to cloud streaming services, so I have now chosen to just go with the flow... No audio dropouts here!
Hi,

Individual speakers on my set up keep dropping out, mainly when I am playing music through Spotify. I have 5 Sonos Ones.

Can you help?

Diagnostic 1293658403
Hi,

Individual speakers on my set up keep dropping out, mainly when I am playing music through Spotify. I have 5 Sonos Ones.

Can you help?

Diagnostic 1293658403

Just another Sonos user here and so cannot see your diagnostic submission, (only the Sonos Staff can do that), but I’m happy to try to help, but need a little more information about your setup.
  • Type of router... central, or mesh system?
  • Any wireless access points/extenders/power line adapters etc. in your network?
  • Any managed network switches?
  • Are any Sonos devices wired to the local network?
Also do you know your current wifi channel and have you perhaps already tried using a different WiFi channel?