Answered

Dropouts when grouping TV with other Zones

• 11 March 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hi,

I have reached the end of my technical ability now, so am reaching out for some support.

I have a Samsung TV connected using Optical to a Playbar, with x 2 Play1 Surrounds, and a Sonos Sub. On their own they work well - however as soon as you group with another Zone, eg Kitchen (or any other zone) suffers intermittent drop outs! This does only happen when its grouping TV Sound. ie, if I play Spotify through the Playbar and then group the issue is not present.

All software appears to be up to date, and I am not sure what else to try.

Interestingly I have a turntable connected to a Sonos Connect(AMP) and the same problem happens to this, on its own its flawless, but as soon as you Group with any other Zone, eg Kitchen (or any other zone) it suffers the same intermittent drop out. This does only happen when its grouping Turntable Sound. ie, if I play Spotify through the Playbar and then group the issue is not present.

Happy to submit a diagnostic if required, but would really appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 27 March 2018, 22:04

Understood. I would recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are able to set up a remote session and get a closer look at how Sonos data is being routed along the network. Thanks.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi, MrGandFriends. Welcome to the community. Uncompressed audio, like that from your television, is very demanding on your wireless network. As such, it is very prone to dropouts. You can change the line-in audio to compressed on the CONNECT:AMP, but the television signal does not have this option. We can see if your home network needs any tidying up to see if this would help, however. If so, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause for you. Many thanks in advance.
Badge
Hi Ed, thanks for the note. Diagnostic has been done and number is 2031937613

For clarification, the TV is connected to a PlayBar and not a Connect:AMP

The Turntable, is connected via the Connect:AMP

Happy to take any guidance advice. I would not say we have a complex setup, but we are frustrating with its flaws at the moment, as we enjoy our vinyl and Music in general. #loveSONOS

Rich
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, Rich. Thanks for the diagnostic report and for the details. While your Sonos system may not seem complex, setting up a wireless connection over wireless extenders certainly can be. I see you are using a Genexis BV router, however, Sonos is talking to a couple different Apple devices to connect wirelessly to the network. Can you tell us a little more about this setup? What is the model of the router you are using? Is it possible to plug one of your Sonos devices into the Genexis router directly? Do you have any switches or other access points?

Thanks in advance.
Badge
Hi Keith

Thanks for your response. So let me see if I can simplify.

The Genesis BV Router is used as a passthrough. This is where the fibre comes into our property, and is connected directly to an Apple AirPort Extreme. We then have an AirPort Extreme in the kitchen which is setup as a repeater and finally an Airport in the Garden office which is hardwired also to the Genexis.
All routers have the same SSID to create a roaming profile which works seamlessly.
None of the Sonos devices are hardwired. I could if required connect the Play5 in the Office directly to the router for test purposes.
I have a 5 port switch in the garden office which connects some other devices.

Does this help?

All Apple devices are unto date, and always have been get current.

Rich
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. I would recommend giving our support technicians a call to troubleshoot this in real time. They are able to set up a remote session and get a closer look at how Sonos data is being routed along the network. Thanks.