Answered

Dropouts - Sub and Play:1 Surrounds

• 31 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
I am having very frustrating problem with sound drop-out, especially when playing the TV, with my two surround speakers and my sub. While it'll be about two weeks until I can get back to the Condo where I have this setup I am posting now in hopes of getting some ideas to try.

My setup is as follows:
TV surround setup (Playbar, Sub, 2x Play:1 surround)
Main living area and kitchen (2x Play:5)
Office (Play:1)
Connection: 1x Bridge on one end of condo and wired connection to the Playbar at the other end; balance is confirmed Sonosnet

Network:
2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite Access Dual Band
USG Security Gateway
24MBPS cable internet
MOCA bridge to APs / Playbar

I have tried:
Resetting the controller
Rebuilding the Sonos installation (Factory re-sets and clean install of controller)
Stipulating Sonosnet channel

One other odd behavior is that on my last visit my playbar had dropped from Sonos installation (no longer visible to controller) and, would not re-connect until I made the wired connection.

I suspect I have some sort of signal issue either from a failing radio/antenna in the playbar or, more likely an interference issue. To attempt to address the interference issue I replaced my Ubiquiti access points with newer dual radio units and made as much of my other wifi stuff as I could use the 5ghz band - no improvement.

Looking for any troubleshooting ideas this group may have!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 31 January 2019, 22:50

Can you clarify the drop out a little more? It sound like your main issue is that the playbar keeps playing while the bonded surrounds and sub drop out from time to time. If that's the case, then there is interference between the playbar and these speakers, and would likely not be related to your wifi network in general. I would submit a diagnostic for Sonos to look at, but the solution could be as simple as moving other electronic devices sitting near your speakers a little further away.

Also if this is a location you don't visit regularly, are shutting off the power when you're not there? This might explain why the playbar dropped off, if the router gave it a duplicate IP address.

And condos are likely to have a lot of wifi networks around. it could be interference from a neighbor's network.

To submit a diagnostic:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

You can post the number here for a Sonos staff member to look at or contact them directly (call, facebook, twitter)
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Can you clarify the drop out a little more? It sound like your main issue is that the playbar keeps playing while the bonded surrounds and sub drop out from time to time. If that's the case, then there is interference between the playbar and these speakers, and would likely not be related to your wifi network in general. I would submit a diagnostic for Sonos to look at, but the solution could be as simple as moving other electronic devices sitting near your speakers a little further away.

Also if this is a location you don't visit regularly, are shutting off the power when you're not there? This might explain why the playbar dropped off, if the router gave it a duplicate IP address.

And condos are likely to have a lot of wifi networks around. it could be interference from a neighbor's network.

To submit a diagnostic:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US

You can post the number here for a Sonos staff member to look at or contact them directly (call, facebook, twitter)
Badge
Well, don't turn the power off but it does go out from time to time. Yes playbay keeps playing and the bonded speakers drop out. I agree probably a interference issue a there is a lot of WiFi activity. Will need to experiment with that. Thanks for the diagnostic link. Will use that for sure.
Just to provide a touch more information, the "bonded" speakers work on a 5Ghz network created by the soundbar, and don't actually interact directly with your 2.4Ghz network that the soundbar does. In case you're rooting around looking for wifi interference 🙂